Author Topic: Thanks for the link...but unable to use...??  (Read 6484 times)

MaMa_T

Thanks for the link...but unable to use...??
« on: March 16, 2004, 02:09:02 AM »
Hi.  Sorry,  I didn't add what version i have.  I use Windows 98.  I used the link that you gave me earlier....but was unable to download the 'HiJackThis".  It directed me to an "incredifind search" page...several times.   Now what????

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Thanks for the link...but unable to use...??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 02:14:25 AM »
hijackthis could be downloaded here:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Hope this help  8)
The best things in life are free.

MaMa_T

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 07:32:07 PM »
well  i have downloaded this into "my computer"...but nothing happens..i am unable to get anything to come up?  What am i doing wrong? (besides using a computer i don't understand   lol)  i am using windows 98.  this is coming up in my ACDSee program.  Sorry to be such a pain.  I do appreciate your help!!! Thanx!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 08:11:07 PM »
well  i have downloaded this into "my computer"...but nothing happens..i am unable to get anything to come up?  What am i doing wrong? (besides using a computer i don't understand   lol)  i am using windows 98.  this is coming up in my ACDSee program.  Sorry to be such a pain.  I do appreciate your help!!! Thanx!

You have to unzip the hijackthis.zip file. Double-click it and choose a folder to unpack the contents.
Then run hijackthis.exe file from it.
From your first post I suppose you know what this file does...
Do you need help in anything more specific?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

MaMa_T

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »
when the download window comes up it automaticaly wants to put it in our ACDsee file program (wich is our pictures) and i cannot change that nor open it.  What do i do? ???

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:09:55 AM »
MaMa-just use WinZip to open it - let it download then start your zip program -max
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 01:12:25 AM by Max M.Wachtel III »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
ACDSee has some kind of support for various archives (it's probably able to browse images stored inside of the archives, or so). However, by default it associates to the archive extension during install - which is something I would call nasty and stupid. That's why it opens when you leftclick the link.

To save the file, rightclick the link in the browser and select "Save As...".

MaMa_T

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 01:13:38 AM »
 ???I tried to get winzip program but said it was unavailable to download at this time.   So...do you suggest to get "spy-bot" installed to rid me of these adware/spyware creatures?  Is it free?  Also as of today 3-17-04  Avast "encountered problems" updating to my system....my computer is going wacko....right along with me!!  ::) (lol)    Awaiting your reply as to what to do.....Thanx again!   :)

whocares

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 08:56:12 AM »
Hi,

start the PC in SafeMode (F8-Boot) and then do a normal or better a thorough scan with avast.
Note the findings exactly (name of virus/trojn, and where it was found), and best inform yourself about the found malware (and how to remove them properly ) via google or VGREP (see below)
or
move found trojans to the chest

Download Winzip, Spybot, ad-aware and cwshredder (if necessary on a different PC) and install them on your PC;
update spybot, ad-aware and cwshreedder (if possible) via their internal Updater
reboot in safeMode again, scan and fix with the above progs

if the problem is still not gone: open winzip, and open the hijackthis.zipfile with it;
extract it to a new, empty folder
run hijackthis, press "scan", then "Save Logfile"
-> copy and paste the contents of the upcoming editor here ;)