Author Topic: Help with Win32:Agent-AWB? (and possibly other infections)  (Read 31944 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Help with Win32:Agent-AWB? (and possibly other infections)
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »
Hi juditelucas,

There are also many lessons learnt from going through an ordeal like this. Coming here, being taught about the importance of secure practices (update software, have latest SUN JAVA version and remove older version(s) manually, because that is not done automatically), and the enormous benefit of using normal user rights on a computer to evade 90 % of the malware that may alter system settings. Yes, use full admin rights only when you update programs, install secure programs, for normal activities on the Internet do not allow full admin rights, install an account with normal user rights, the educated user makes the difference here,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

juditelucas

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2008, 02:01:32 AM »
Yes, sir! Next task: convince the "boss" to let me create user accounts with limited rights. In a school with no ICT technician and about 50 computers, limited accounts will often mean limited on-line experience, difficulty in responding to unexpected need for installation of software, etc. This will be my next battle. Will have have to look for some guidance, and will try to use some of the tools you introduced me into, if I believe I can use them safely. I am trying to organize your suggestions and my ideas.

I'm glad there are Evangelists around here ;D. Thank you once more.
JLucas

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2008, 03:40:17 AM »
Right, oldman. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it today. I have spent the whole day updating, scanning, cleaning and disabling auto-run in 15 computers at my school, and there are many others me and my mate will need to clean. I will also make flash disinfection available at school.

Diasbling autoruns will go a long way in helping avoiding this, and so will FDD.

I did need a confirmation: I am supposed to have all the disks with hard drives installed, correct?

If you are asking about system restore, yes.

Will have have to look for some guidance, and will try to use some of the tools you introduced me into, if I believe I can use them safely. I am trying to organize your suggestions and my ideas.

You seemed to handle these ones quite well.

Thank you for your patience, I have been able the piece together a more comprehensive and effective cleaning routine.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:42:24 AM by oldman »

juditelucas

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
Hello oldman and polonus.
I have gone through the cleaning process as advised, and am sending the very last Hijackthis log. Hope everything is ok now.

Haven't changed my firewall yet because I installed PCTools and, unsure of what to allow and what to forbid, started forbidden everything it showed - and stopped having access to the internet.
Will have to go through that in the weekend.

God bless you.
JLucas

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
ashwebsv.exe-webshield
ashmaisv.exe-mail
avast.setup-updates

Those 3 avast entries need  access.

juditelucas

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2008, 01:00:49 AM »
OK, thanks.
Seems I didn't attach my hijackthis log after all. Here it goes.
Guess I'll give PCTools another try.

EDIT after sending: after all, the log was already here. Hadn't noticed it though. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:05:24 AM by juditelucas »