Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 12917 times)

Spiritsongs

Re: Help!!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
 :)  Hi Sabrina :

I use a Dial-Up Internet Connection and several yrs ago I used PeoplePC for a
     very short time . Many people complain about them & it would be wise to find
     a different Internet Service Provider. It is recommended that Spybot's
    "TeaTimer" programming be temporarily "disabled" while removing any "malware".
     Therefore, I recommend you ask for help on THEIR Support Forums at
     http://forums.spybot.info/  where there are many very skilled Volunteers .
     I assume that once you wipe the ME off your computer, Microsoft will NOT
     download any of THEIR "Updates" AFTER you reinstall it !?

philly12

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:58 AM »
Hey sabrina, i sent you a private avast message so look near the top of the screen and click my messages and give me a response.

You said that windows update is able to list the downloads but not let you download them.  If you are really wanting to get those downloads they can probably all be manually found somewhere on the internet and i will help you find them if you list them all (see if you can see a number that starts with K and has many other numbers after it..such as K2549343 or something like that.  This is microsoft's own update number and it would really help in finding your updates manually.) 

All the adware that the avast users mentioned isnt necessarily adware (except possibly the O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [QRIA] (User 'Default user') but we dont know what this is yet).  The "adware" that we found are parts of peoplepc, and by definition these things are adware.  Peoplepc is an awful company in my opinion because they are installing files on thousands of computers with adware properties.  Also, if you decide to go with another ISP (internet service provider), MAKE SURE you are not continually being charged by people pc.  I have read many complaints by people who were continually charged on their credit card after trying to switch to another ISP.

And BTW, the cleaner tab in ccleaner is the one that removes things from your hard drive (i guess i could have explained that better).  Just analyse it first and then hit run cleaner.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:22:38 AM by philly12 »

Sabrina

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
Uberevangelist,
Yes I have a compaq presario desktop computer. I have not tried what you suggested yet. Till I told you that I do have the compaq. Do I still need to fix what you told me about in previous reply? I want to make sure that is what I should do, beofore I do it.

Philly 12, still thinking.

philly12

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:55:28 PM »
No sabrina, i wouldnt fix any of what he said except maybe O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [QRIA] (User 'Default user') .  Definitely don't fix the compaq items or you may not be able to run your comp.  Also, don't fix the people pc problems yet because you may not be able to access the internet after you do.  There may be some entries that don't affect the overall operation of people pc or compaq, but i'm not sure if there are.  An avast admin will have to clarify which entries are okay to fix without messing up your ability to access the internet. 

You see, the main problem is that many computer professionals view people pc items as adware, and it does have adware properties (such as it's smart dialer and it also has an ad rotator).  But you are using it as your ISP, so disabling it or removing it would also take away your ability to access the internet. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:57:21 PM by philly12 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »
We don't stand on ceremony here, it is just David.

Yes don't touch the entries relating to the compac, if you didn't have a compac then t would have been different.

In this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33232.msg277539#msg277539 there is a line with just Fix: on it, so fix all the entries below that line.

The only exception possibly being leave this alone, for the time being, but there is no such registry entry entry in my XP Pro system.

Unknown, suspect.
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [QRIA] (User 'Default user')
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philly12

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
In this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33232.msg277539#msg277539 there is a line with just Fix: on it, so fix all the entries below that line.
Um david, these are all parts of people pc (i know they are adware as well).  Couldn't this make her ISP not work?

Sabrina

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
David R and Philly 12,    Wednesday

I have had some success!!  I deleted one file ..(trying one file at a time, to find out for sure which one was causing the problem) using the Hijack this fix.

The problem was connected to yahoo tool bar. I am going to do another scan and post it on here again.If you could look thru this and tell me what you think might be suspect... so that I could delete them too, that would be great!!  And I do have a Compaq desktop computer..

I thank you both so very much, for every suggestion, idea, and lead in the right direction to be able to get my updates from windows updates.  I am still experiencing some other problems.. but I am trying to address each issue, one at a time. And I keep in mind that I do have this stupid Mistake Edition computer.. and will probably always have problems.

Philly 12, am looking into suggestion...Im going to see if I can find out if my computer has enough to be able to even think about it.??  Will get back with you on this... soon.

Thanks again!! I would have been very definitely throwing this computer and stomping all over it if it wasnt for your help, both of you!!

Sabrina

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »
PS.. I didnt fix anything related to peoplepc.. as I dont want to lose any internet connection.. thanks for the heads up.. Philly 12!!  I just fixed the one thing.. having to do with the yahoo tool bar.. I will do another scan... like I mentioned earlier.. and post it here.

If there is anything else that needs addressing.. you can let me know.. but for now.. just being able to get my updates.. was a very real and wonderful accommplishment.. that I couldnt have done with out you!!  So very happy on this end!!  (And I didnt blow up my computer either!! ) :o

Sabrina

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
So sorry!! I am a do dah head.. Im new to this forum .. and still dont know how to navigate this site!  I just got to the second page.. and yes  Philly I saw your message.. how do you send a message to just one person?? like you for instance.. I clicked "my messages" but couldnt find anywhere to put response..  please have patience with me!! Im trying to learn as much as possible before it all drains back out of my brain!! :-)

Sabrina

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
sabrina with new scan of my mistake edition..

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »

Sabrina -

You can reply to Philly's message by reading it and then looking at the top right of his message. There you will find 3 buttons ... Quote, Reply, & Remove. You can click on either of the first 2 ... Quote or Reply ... and a reply message box will open for you to make a reply. Using Quote will include Philly's message to you in your reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
Um david, these are all parts of people pc (i know they are adware as well).  Couldn't this make her ISP not work?

There doesn't seem to be anything there that is related to LSP or connection, just a start page and if my ISP insisted I used their start page or search assistant, I would tell them where to go. I also see no reason to run an uninstall file either and none of those I believe would have anything to do with the internet connection.

Fix:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
These are considered adware, see http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_136377.htm.

These by implication to the above might also be adware.
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://home.peoplepc.com/search

I see no reason why a supposed uninstall file needs to run on boot once or otherwise. Suspect as it seems related to the O2 - BHO and R3 entry above.
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [PPalUninstal] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ppaluninst.exe

That is my take on it and the choice is Sabrina's to do what she feels happy with.

See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial42.html#RDiag.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philly12

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »
ya follow his advice.  I'm just a novice who talks too much.  Sort of like someone who wants to help, but doesn't know what he's talking about...lol.  My bad David.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »
There is nothing wrong with being cautious, it just requires digging a little deeper like at that HiJackThis Tutorial, which gives more information on what the categories are, like the RO, etc.

Sabrina

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
Hello one and all that are helping me!! ;D

I am currently trying to get info on disabling the tea timer.. have to wait out "approval".  Also, when I look at my messages.. which I only have the one.. there are no three boxes for me to click ???, the only ones I have are "report to admin, and delete."  I have tried to reply/respond to Philly12.. and I keep getting the message;" you are not allowed to send personal messages."  ??? What is that all about?? :'( ???
As far as decision making goes... I am a computer dummy.. and what decision could I make that would be a correct one.. ??? when I do not know anything about how a system works.. let alone what is on my system.. or how to understand what the foreign language of computer talk means?? it could very definitely say one thing.. and since i have no clue what they are talking about.. I could do something else entirely..!!! :-) that is the nature of the beast you are dealing with .. with me!!  :-X Also, I think I deleted something that I needed.. and now what??  :-\

Ifs, variables, and eeny,meeny,miney,moe!  Im not sure that qualifies as  a decision!!  :-) Isnt there a way for someone to scan my puter.. and figure out what is going on?? (wish that could be done with me too!! ha ha )

I sincerely apprecaite everyones patience, time and efforts in trying to help !!  It would help more, if I knew more!!  Im thinking of just giving up.. and saying to heck with it.. But  I am leaning more towards just killing this machine for good!! I think I like the idea of blowing it up totally!! 

I will be back on here later.. maybe someone will have a epiphiny!! ;D I can only hope!!  Thank you one and all .. again!!