Author Topic: DavidR was right all along!  (Read 9007 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: DavidR was right all along!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 02:49:51 PM »
Yawn, looks like another topic on its way to hell in a hand basket.

I never laid claim to its invention or anything like it, but had you been here for any time you would have seen how much I pushed people to use dropmyrights pre Vista when XP users had no such convenience of UAC.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Lusher

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
Yawn, looks like another topic on its way to hell in a hand basket.

I never laid claim to its invention or anything like it, but had you been here for any time you would have seen how much I pushed people to use dropmyrights pre Vista when XP users had no such convenience of UAC.

Yes, and that makes you unique how? You the only one in the whole wide www using and recommending dropmyrights and similar methods?

Anyhow i have no beef with you David, and I know it's not your fault the thread was titled this way that seems to give you a lot more credit than you actually deserve, but I was just amused at how Polonus (as usual) is making a mountain out of a molehilll.

Besides how are you "right all along"? Just because Roger (I can smash sandboxes without trying) Grimes changes his mind on the importance of UAC, doesn't mean you automatically "win" the debate (not saying I am against UAC, just saying .i doubt grimes saying something is going to convince people who are dead set against the idea...)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
Lusher at his best.
When will you ever learn.
If you have nothing good to say, "SHUT YOUR MOUTH"

David isn't the only one utilizing and advocating "dropmyrights" but he has been one of it's strongest advocates.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »

Anyhow i have no beef with you David, and I know it's not your fault the thread was titled this way that seems to give you a lot more credit than you actually deserve, but I was just amused at how Polonus (as usual) is making a mountain out of a molehilll.

I am sure Polonus titled this thread as he did because he was addressing members of this forum and David was the most outspoken member on this forum for DropMyRights.

Let it go, Lusher.

Lusher

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
Hmm I got a PM from a long time and respected member here.

What he says confirms what I have observed.

"Have you noticed how these forums went to hell last few months ? It is incredible what's happening here and I sure don't like it. They are gathering here in these forums, and all this started to look more like some kind of a temple full of lunatics and fanboys"

"I am visiting these forums for the last few years, have many friends in here, but it looks like all of a sudden even I am not allowed to say anything that's actually the truth in real life, but not approved by "them". They simply censor everything immediately, same second you try to say something they don't like."

"It looks like they have few "icons" in here and no one can touch them. Every single thing they say, even when it's complete nonsense, visitors in this forum take for granted and they blindly believe everything they say."

"I hate when they gather like wild dogs, and jump on every single word you say in this forum... it is crazy and it is something stupid IMHO."

Can't say I'm surprised.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
You're allowed to say anything you like provided you don't attack, insult, or otherwise hurt, anyone else, and your post is on-topic.

Sorry to find out that Lusher's posts recently haven't met any of the above critiria though.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »
If you have nothing good to say, "SHUT YOUR MOUTH"
Let it go, Lusher.
Bob & Charley,

I agree with you both, but at the same time we should also let it go.  Feeding him keeps him going.

I don't like dropmyrights, but if I become infected where dropmyrights would've protected me, I'll most likely change my mind.  That is human nature to wait till something happens to take proactive action.  ::)   I'll then say "DavidR was right all along!" ;D

I don't like the restrictions of dropmyrights & UAC.  If I get a new computer with Vista, I'll disable UAC.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
DropMyRights shouldn't restrict you as it is not system wide you only apply it to programs that you wish to lower their rights and have a shortcut to run it under DMR and use your normal shortcut to run it with admin privileges.

There is nothing stopping you running an account with admin privileges and only run applications of your choice under DMR, like browsers, email applications, which shouldn't need admin privileges (with limited exceptions like windows update).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
Hi DavidR & rdmalloyjr,

It is OK what you choose, as long as you know why you choose it. If you know what more risk you run, running system with full admin rights, and you say I will take the infections into account, then it is your free choice, and we are not gonna argue with you any longer.
Another thing is users that do not want to imply secure practices, because they do not understand or have a clue what it is all about, they think it is a nuisance or they rather reformat at the end of the day, they have a false idea of security, they are afraid of change, they cannot even get bothered because they are young and therefore it does not affect them anyways it always happens to others, or one million other lame excuses, these people cannot be reasoned with, this thread has not been written for them,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Gouveia

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
You mean it? Seriously? I thought that it had some kind of more protection with full admin rights. So yeah, it's your choice. Less rights and more protection or vice versa.