Author Topic: Win32 Swen worm?  (Read 3317 times)

AstronomerSmith

Win32 Swen worm?
« on: March 16, 2004, 03:24:01 AM »
I've recently installed Avast! and it seems to be working well.  I wonder if it is actually detecting a Swen worm, or not.  I had previously been using Norton's and kept it updated, but it never detected this slightly older worm.  Now, everytime I do a system scan with Avast!, it detects this worm in different files, usually in "cab" files on my D drive which is actually never used by me, since it has the restore files.  I have only saved anything to my C drive.
Also, after scanning, I get a list of all the files infected.  Some of these have errors and cannot be accessed?  Please advise me on how to handle this.  Also, what about the virus/worm cleaner program you have available for download?  If I have the lastest version of the antivirus program,do I need the cleaner?

Thanks for any advise.

Scott (AstronomerSmith)

techie101

Re:Win32 Swen worm?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:13:56 AM »
I wonder if it is actually detecting a Swen worm, or not.
More than likely it is.  Avast usually picks up these pesty older variations which have been lying around computers undetected for long periods.

I had previously been using Norton's and kept it updated, but it never detected this slightly older worm.
Norton is not high on my list of great av's.  AVAST is!
It is very important that you completely removed all traces of Norton!  If you do not, then you may run into trouble with Avast.

Also, after scanning, I get a list of all the files infected.  Some of these have errors and cannot be accessed?
The common reason that the files named in the scan cannot be accessed is usually because they are password protected, or stored in the System Restore folder.
Find the "passworded" files, remove the password and you can work with them.
As for the "system restore" files....disable the System Restore function and you will be able to access the files.

Please advise me on how to handle this.  Also, what about the virus/worm cleaner program you have available for download?
See my post in this thread regarding Avast Virus Cleaner.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3319

If I have the lastest version of the antivirus program,do I need the cleaner?
Yes, it doesn't hurt.  As you found out, Avast CAN find viruses you didn't know you had.  
If, despite all the security measures you take, your computer gets infected by a virus or worm, it is necessary to disinfect your system somehow. While for some viruses the only 100% realiable method of disinfection is restoring your system from backups, for many common infections this is not really necessary and the virus/worm can be removed quite easily.
Avast! Virus Cleaner is a free tool that will help you remove selected worm infections from your computer.

Look at it this way.  Some viruses "wrap" themselves around other system applications and if you just delete them, then the operating system may fail to function!

The Cleaner does the job in the simplest, most complete method possible.

Good luck
techie
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 04:15:28 AM by techie101 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:00:46 AM »
Can you post the exect names/paths of the files where avast! detected the Swen worm?

AstronomerSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 02:58:55 AM »
The worm is apparently residing in my Restore files.  There are multiple files, but most of them similar to this (the first one of several):

C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS469.CAB\A0022440.CPY

The program says "Infection: Win32:Swen [Wm]"

Error occurred during file deleting
Access is denied

VPS version 0403-10, 03/15/2004

I am rescanning it again tonight and will try to do a screen capture for you.  A question - should I try to use the 'repair' option, or delete?
Also, how do I go about posting my screen capture?  I just did one, and there are LOTS of files that couldn't be accessed due to password.  And there are 14 files that say an "error occurred....the file was not repaired".

Scott

AstronomerSmith

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:01:57 AM »
I am going to try and send the screen capture.

Scott