Author Topic: Norton 2006 Ghosts  (Read 4152 times)

Breezy55417

Norton 2006 Ghosts
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:28:36 AM »
My Compaq Windows XP MCE machine came with Symantec / Norton Security 2006 installed. Some time ago I un-installed Norton using their removal tool and have done other clean up. I then installed Avast4 as my resident Antivirus program.

When I now look in the Windows Security Center it states that  "Norton Internet Security 2006 reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on".

Why isn't Avast recognized? The "On-Access Scanner" is running.

ashmai.Sv.exe
ashServ.exe
ashwebSv.exe

are all active tasks

VikingBabe

Re: Norton 2006 Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »
My new Dell also came with Norton 2006 90 day trial and deleted it a few days ago before it ran out. Before removing it, however, I did some checking around and found this webpage from Cornell University IT Security very helpful. 

However, I did download the Norton Removal Tool to clean up anything not done manually.  I read (elsewhere) the Norton Removal Tool may not remove everything first time, so you might have to run it again.  But, you might want to follow the Cornell University tips as well to manually remove or delete what it did not do.

These are the steps I performed. 

First, I downloaded AVAST Free but did not open it yet.  Two anti-virus programs running are not compatible. Then downloaded the Norton Removal Tool but did not use it yet.  Went offline.

I went into "Add/Remove Programs" to manually remove Norton/Symantec/LiveUpDate programs.
Closed and rebooted. 

Then ran the Norton Removal Tool...which was supposed to have deleted their files/folders in my Program Files and anything else Norton/Symantec deposited (including in the registry).

Although the Removal Tool took out the Symantec/Norton folders in Program Files. Just to make sure, I went into my Program Files to check anyway....and found these removed.   BUT in Program Files/Common files the Symantec shared folder was still there.  So I deleted this.   I checked "My Documents" and found the Symantec folder still there and deleted it.

Closed and rebooted.  While still off line, I opened the AVAST and installed it.  Then followed the steps to get the key to register with.

Oh, right after reading your problem, I also checked my Security Center and it's "Virus Protection"...just in case.  All that is running is my present AVAST Free anti-virus program.  So apparently, every bit of Norton 2006 has been uninstalled and/or manually deleted. 

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »

Good post, VikingBabe ... it's always nice to see a new member posting help that is detailed.

Breezy55417

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 12:26:08 AM »
Thanks VikingBabe.

I had found the Cornell article before and followed it. Good info.

I'll have to readdress this issue. I'm now not sure where I left off. I've had to do some unrelated restores that may have undone some of my work.
I did just now find a Symantec Folder with an html. and dll in the Programs/common file that I thought I had deleted.

Since Avast is already installed, I'm not sure what else to back track to see what I missed. Even Belarc Advisory shows I'm running Norton 2006.

I'll keep looking.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »

Sometimes, the Norton removal tool has to be run more than once for it to get everything.

Breezy55417

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
We are not alone.............

Here is more good info on the subject.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207/

VikingBabe

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »
From the last article:
As noted above, however, even the Norton Removal Tool will not remove every trace of Symantec programs. You may find leftover Symantec folders under your Program Files\Common Files folder, the Documents and Settings folder (in XP),  and the Users folder (in Vista).......

Why I decided to follow the Cornell University steps to manually delete first before using the Norton Removal Tool.  But, like I said... to be sure...went back in to check the "Program files/common files" folder and the "Documents and Settings" folder.  It just seemed to make sense.  Glad it was bourne out in that article....although it is addressing Norton 2008 issues mostly.  Apparently there was a major overhaul since the 2006 version. 

I ran HiJack This and all it shows is AVAST.....no Norton or Symantec  anywhere.