Author Topic: avast wont auto program update? And when scanning....  (Read 12543 times)

avast wont auto program update? And when scanning....
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:29:01 AM »
Issue 1: Avast wont auto program update? I have it set to automatically download new virus definitions and program updates. It does automatically download the latest virus defs, but i have to manually make it auto update the avast program when there is a program update. Is it because i have dial up?

Issue 2: Also, when I scanned one day with avast quick scan on my jump drive, it took 10,000 mem usage, and 9 cpu. 100% 
So my questions are these for both circumstances:

1.) Is this normal?

2.) Is it something i am doing wrong?

I rly enjoy avast and my thanx goes out to the amazing ppl who wrote this program. I Have a dial up connection, and My system specs are as follows: Win XP sp2, 2.50 ghz, 760 Mb of ram. Compaq. Thanx 4 anyone who can help! :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:41:59 AM by 129260 »

Re: avast wont auto program update? And when scanning....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
can anyone give me a idea? I scanned again using quick scan, (where u right click and have avast scan something), and it didn't take much resources at all, only when scanning usb drives/devices does it seem to take alot of resources. just wanted to say that. :)

devilstrings

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »
Hey there....its the same with me...Avast wont auto update...Im using Win XP MCE (2005), i tried reinstalling, but no go.

Thanks...

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »

Please check your settings in avast. Right click the "a" ball in the system tray, Click on "Program settings ..." and then click on "Update [basic] and on "Update [Connections]. See my examples below. As for the connections, if you are not on dial-up like i am, check the second box instead. Click the images to enlarge them.

Does this help any of you?

devilstrings

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the info...I changed the settings as u mentioned...btw, I have a cable connection, so its permanently connected to the internet...i checked that option in settings...

Lets c if this helps it to update automatically...

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
i have my settings all configured properly, auto update on program and defs, and i have it set that i am on a dial up connection. I know my firewall zonealarm isn't blocking avast because it can auto def update but not program. i have to run manually then it works. This isn't a big issue, but it is something i think needs to be looked into. :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Programme updates are staggered to reduce the server load and they are not that frequent, I believe the programme updates are set to download over a few days instead of all at once 

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
hmmm but i have seen other people with avast and there's auto program updates. Also, does anyone know this issue 2 that i had? Issue 2: Also, when I scanned one day with avast quick scan on my jump drive, it took 10,000 mem usage, and 9 cpu. 100%  can anyone give me a idea? I scanned again using quick scan, (where u right click and have avast scan something), and it didn't take much resources at all, only when scanning usb drives/devices does it seem to take alot of resources. just wanted to say that. Smiley

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
Hello?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »
Can you try the beta version to see if it solves your problem?
The best things in life are free.

avastguy700

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
Is that the beta VLK mentions at the top of this forum?I didn't mean to but in but I wanted to ask this question ;)

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »
ya, sure i can try the beta avast. Can u show me where to find it? i checked the page for beta releases on avast's website and didn't see any available. thanx let me know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
This it the topic about the 4.8 beta and the link, there download the aswbeta.exe file to your hard disk and then run it. That will update to the beta release, you will need to reboot afterwards.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
The best things in life are free.

BlackDog56

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:33:04 AM »
What version of the program do you have?? It may be already up to date and as stated previously, the program does not update that often.