Author Topic: serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch  (Read 59512 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 07:28:41 PM »
Anyone having this problem is welcome to try the latest v4.8 beta.
Please see the Beta forum subcategory for details.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Solemn

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks for the new release Vlk! (and the rest of the avast! team)

I'll be trying out the new beta right now. :)

Solemn

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »
Alright, I have some interesting good news to report after successfully installing the Beta with no notable problems.

According to this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33852.0  the problems I had with loading/streaming Flash-based videos causing some minor lag and unresponsiveness has indeed been fixed!! :) I've tried reproducing this multiple times, and it seems that everything runs smoothly and closes smoothly as it should. (Before there would sometimes be delay where you could hear sound/music still playing for 1 second or so right when applications like Winamp actively playing music or FireFox actively streaming a video were closed--now it cuts out appropriately without any notable problems or delay).

Also, although I have not done extensive attempts to reproduce this, several old error messages I used to get as described in this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33052.0  seem to no longer appear! I tried to clear the Cache via Firefox's built-in function and it did so instantly and smoothly with no delay.  CCleaner similarly has not done anything odd with suddenly reopening or closing while cleaning and has also not produced any error messages as it sometimes would.  However, I cannot close this issue yet and will see if I can reproduce the problem or not some more (it was a relatively unstable one to pinpoint that could vary depending on the cache size I believe, so this may take a while longer).

As for some odd things I've noticed: the first one is that even upon boot-up it seems that the HDD activity is short for a while then suddenly gets very high again for a very, very long time.  I'm not sure if this is the rootkit boot-time scan for avast! though, but when viewing the Vista Performance Manager, it looked like the real things reading/writing at that moment were the a LOT of images labeled as "svchost" reading/writing various files.  I think it's more or less a Vista issue here or something situational since it was the first boot-up after the beta was installed---I think I'm going to have to test this more before I can confirm it to be an avast! problem or not.

The second and last thing I can note is that my HDD light blinks every now and then (around 5-10 second intervals).  Unfortunately I can't confirm if this is normal and if it happened earlier on before the beta install, but it happens and bothers me a bit.  Disabling avast!'s providers doesn't affect this though, and upon viewing the Vista Performance Manager revealed that there were still quite a few images labeled as "System" reading/writing various files--so my guess is that this was probably something normal for Vista.

Other than these reports so far everything's been running fine--many thanks to the avast team! I'll post another report sometime soon to further clarify if some of these issues are fully fixed or not as testing isn't entirely done yet.

P.S Sorry for the long post :P and BTW I love the new context menu icon!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that there are 2 minor bugs that should probably be fixed in the final release.  After installing the beta, my settings were changed from High to Custom because the Instant Messaging Scanner had the program "QQ" unchecked from its scanning list.  Also the program "Utorrent" is still unchecked from the scanning list in the P2P scanner, and has been like this in 4.7 as well.  Checking it changes the settings to Custom, and I think it should be auto-checked already with High settings instead.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:33:49 PM by Solemn »

Lasica

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
A repair of the installation should work (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! antivirus -> Repair).

Vlk

it appears this solved my problem. THX

theunbeholden

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Evidence is that HD overworks with Avast Standard provider on Vista. It's not simply a matter of "speed" (that may vary depending on your powerful hardware and you might not notice). You have to watch and hear the HD.
With Avast running every action forces HD loadings, without it Superfetch of Vista works very well loading just a little bit from HD (and is also faster obviously).

The fact that's not been widely reported is beacuse:
1. Vista + Avast is not so frequent because a lot still have XP...
2. if you don't look and hear to your HD you won't "notice" the problem and will just say "Well, it's Vista that is slow, and the AV has a reasonable impact over it", that is wrong: it has a huge impact, but you don't mind at it and won't blame Avast but Vista which is new etc. etc.
You have to make the speed test with big applications or simply running Administrators tool in Vista (Event Viewer and Scheduled tasks for example). They will make HD overwork, always, instead of using Superfetch and loading faster and without HD noise at all (almost).

I can confirm that this problem is real, and is still affecting vista (SP2) which is especially a problem for my laptop that doesn't have good cpu speed/memory.

I did not have this noticable problem with AVG...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:54:59 PM by theunbeholden »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
You have noticed that this topic is at the latest point almost 3 years old, so would be for avast 4.x.

So you should start your own new topic, giving information on your avast version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security