Author Topic: ZAPro and Web Shield  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
ZAPro and Web Shield
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »
Recently I installed ZoneAlarm Pro on my Windows system , about a week and a half ago I'd say . Just fishing for ideas as to why ZA says it's blocked Zero access attempts . I think I've stuffed up somewhere .
Some details: I said yes to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy , which I believe is correct for using ZAPro ; I was asked the question so that seemed the appropriate response . Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to OFF.  After installing ZA Pro I checked to see if Avast! web shield was scanning ; NO . I use Firefox exclusively, except for MS Updates , IE . So I did the work around : HTTP Proxy - localhost . Port 12080 for Firefox , and Internet Explorer / Broadband .
The thing is that Zone Alarm doesn't list any access attempts , as I said above . Is that correct , doesn't seem right to me ? Everything is working , i.e. Mail , IE , Firefox , Thunderbird , I just expected I'd see a list of Blocked access attempts from ZAPro , on the Overview /Status page which is curious . That is the only problem , nothing else , except that with ZAPro Privacy control off I thought I would not need to enable a Proxy ?
Any ideas greatly appreciated !

rdmaloyjr

Re: ZAPro and Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »
Recently I installed ZoneAlarm Pro on my Windows system , about a week and a half ago I'd say . Just fishing for ideas as to why ZA says it's blocked Zero access attempts . I think I've stuffed up somewhere .
Some details: I said yes to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy , which I believe is correct for using ZAPro ; I was asked the question so that seemed the appropriate response . Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to OFF.  After installing ZA Pro I checked to see if Avast! web shield was scanning ; NO . I use Firefox exclusively, except for MS Updates , IE . So I did the work around : HTTP Proxy - localhost . Port 12080 for Firefox , and Internet Explorer / Broadband .
The thing is that Zone Alarm doesn't list any access attempts , as I said above . Is that correct , doesn't seem right to me ? Everything is working , i.e. Mail , IE , Firefox , Thunderbird , I just expected I'd see a list of Blocked access attempts from ZAPro , on the Overview /Status page which is curious . That is the only problem , nothing else , except that with ZAPro Privacy control off I thought I would not need to enable a Proxy ?
Any ideas greatly appreciated !
I have ZAAS, ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware, it includes ZA Pro firewall.  I said no to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy.  There is no Privacy Control in ZAAS.  I'm having no problems.

In the past I used ZA free and I always took the free trials of ZA Pro.  I always said no to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy & never turned Privacy Control off.  No problems.  No proxies.

It seems some systems had problems while others didn't.

timcan

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »
Hi Abraxas,are you by chance using a router? If you are then there will probably be few if any unsolicited inbound attempts. I,m using za pro atm behind a router and have had 3 inbound attempts blocked from my isp. I have only my router's ip as a trusted zone. Hope this helps, tim

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:33:36 AM »
Hi tim , :)
"... ,are you by chance using a router?"
I switched to ADSL a few months ago , I think you're right . Similar statistics to your system looking at the pics .  I asked my ISP if the Modem included a router , they said no but it appears that it does . ::)
Always seems like I'm talking to the Tea Lady when I ring my ISP ,  ;)  :P ::) ??? :o >:(

I'd been considering switching to Comodo , but that's a whole other issue , a path I don't want to go down at the moment , from what I've read , and behaviour of ZA . My lack of solid information about whether I've a Firewall router or not ?
I must keep a close eye on this though , I'd hate to get attacked unawares thinking my system is rock solid . So it seems like maybe no problem at all , but just cos I have fine connectivity with all programs to Web , and all seems well , scans are all coming up clean for "malware" , I'd like to hear from anyone else where this "Zero access attempts blocked " with ZoneAlarm Pro , their System properties , and any relavent info . Thanks !

Shield's Up test probably is a good idea , the results will be obvious .
I can change the avast4.ini file ; to test having said NO to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy .I've tested removing Proxy : localhost ; and ; Port12080 . Webshield doesn't scan.
Been pre-occupied with PCLinuxOS and just noticed in Win XP (Still love it ! )
ZAPro blocked Zero access attempts ; system setup "tighter than a fishes arse" as a friend put it when I talked to them  ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:41:58 AM »

Try looking up your modem's name & model number with Google. You should find out if it has a router or not.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 06:18:06 AM »
I'm using ZA Pro in ZAAS & a router SPI firewall.  ZA has blocked thousands of access attempts.  I'm wondering if my router firewall is doing anything if ZA Pro has blocked so much.  I've shut down ZA and checked the router fw with Sheilds Up & PC Flank, my router fw passes both sets of tests.

My question is the opposite of Abraxas'.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:45:49 AM »

Try looking up your modem's name & model number with Google. You should find out if it has a router or not.

Hi CharleyO , yeah I have done so , seems my ISP , which provided the Modem (for free ) has tampered with it because the Specs don't match. No need to go into this , but I am not using a Wireless Modem . Lol ! I have checked this out with FreewheelinFrank's advice previously when I had a problem getting online with PCLOS . ( Solved ) Thanks for your advice , much appreciated !

O.K. the proof of the pudding .... TESTED USING FIREFOX . Primary Browser , IE can wait .
Shields Up!!
Results from scan of ports:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-02-17 at 05:12:07

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
                            119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
                            1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
   26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
   26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

This Internet Common Ports Probe attempts to establish standard TCP Internet connections with a collection of standard, well-known, and often vulnerable or troublesome Internet ports on YOUR computer. Since this is being done from our server, successful connections demonstrate which of your ports are "open" or visible and soliciting connections from passing Internet port scanners.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way.
Very nice.
I ran every test , and as you see I can feel , ... "Protected"  ;D
Still confused about what "exactly" ; i.e. ZAPro , Avast! Webshield , are doing because I found it very ODD to see ZAPro had blocked Zero Access attempts.
Anyhow , my system's setup "tighter than a fishes arse" under water  8)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:59:12 AM by Abraxas »

timcan

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Hi Abraxas,  when you scan at grc is your computer ip address the same as what grc says it is? If not grc has scanned your modem's ip.
Also depending on how you have za set to log,you should see a lot of activity there if your computer ip is scanned. :)  tim

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »
So much for a quiet Sunday afternoon  ;)
timcan I'll look into that tomorrow , using PCLinuxOS at moment , it feels so safe , you know  ;D
Thanks for your feedback CharleyO , rdmaloyjr , and timcan . I'll get myself organised and look into each factor properly and methodically soon.
Safe surfing all  :)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
Just to conclude this . I rang my ISP to ask if My ADSL Modem (or connection ) had a "Firefall" . They were little help . I could definitely see online at the configuration page / URL that it says ; "Firewall active" (Pic)
ISP consultant had no idea what it meant , except to say ; "Yes , I don't think it's very good though "  ???
Anyhow ZAPro still has filtered no " access attempts ".
I did an experiment and edited the avast4.ini file from ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 ; to :
ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0
Disabled the Proxy config (localhost ; Port 12080 ) which I'd applied after first installing ZAPro , after seeing that the Avast! webshield wasn't scanning . Now the WebShield is running (scanning ) , ZAPro Privacy control =OFF (as it had been all along ) without the proxy settings .  ???
The performance browsing without the Proxy is noticable , seems I should have said NO to turn off the Avast Web Shield Transparent Mode Proxy while installing ZAPro .
Still curious as to the nature of the ISP "Firewall" , but that's something for another day , week , year  ;D  ::) ???
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:39:39 AM by Abraxas »