Author Topic: Interpreting Scan results ; PCLinucOS  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Interpreting Scan results ; PCLinucOS
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
I'm using  avast! 4 for Linux in PCLinuxOS . I run it from a shortcut on my desktop , with /home/"user" permissions . Ran a Standard  scan of my /home directory ; (I'm aware to scan the root file system I'd have to use Konsole as root ), and  when scan completes there's a list of files , and their paths . I left click a item to highlight it , then right click for options , which appear "Delete" , "Move to Chest" etc , and then get the message , "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory"
When I installed Avast! I downloaded the RPM package , and installed it through Synaptic . I felt this the easiest way being a newbie to Linux. That aside it surprises me that I get these results after scanning , as I'd expect them to be Viruses , rather than a list of  legitimate files . This has occured several times ;  "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory"
Any ideas ? Thanks .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Interpreting Scan results ; PCLinucOS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »
First I assume this is just a list of files that avast couldn't scan (not that they are infected or suspect), besides the file name and location (examples would help) there should be a reason why they can't be scanned. You need to determine if the fie name, location and reason is likely to be a good reason.

Basically you shouldn't touch these files or take any action as they are just files that avast couldn't scan, not that they are infected or suspect. The same reason why they couldn't be scanned is likely to be the same for being unable to take and selected option so you just further complicate the issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
Abraxas, could only be reading access permission denied?
Also, which are your avat report settings?
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:10:01 AM »
I get the same result (list of all files and "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory" message upon right-clicking an individual file) but only after doing a quick scan. It doesn't matter if I'm doing a /home scan or a scan of my Windows' partition.

By the way, there's a spelling mistake in the error message: occurred is the correct spelling.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
FreewheelinFrank:
I get the same result (list of all files and "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory" message upon right-clicking an individual file) but only after doing a quick scan. It doesn't matter if I'm doing a /home scan or a scan of my Windows' partition.
Same as you say Frank , parameters:  a "quick scan" , of  /home partition .
I have noticed is the desktop shortcut I made runs Avast! with only user limited permissions .
I can change that , but I think I'll just use a Terminal , and run Avast! scans as root . Not logon as root , but change Avast! permission to root.
To run a scan using root permissions I opened a Terminal and ran:
[me@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost me]# cd /bin
[root@localhost bin]# avastgui
This gave fewer "Permission denied" , "File was not tested due to configuration details " , "No such file or directory " in the scan results list . Although still get ; "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory" upon right-clicking on an individual file within scan result list.
Tech:
Abraxas, could only be reading access permission denied?
Yes Tech , It seems scan results list are related to user permissions . But something more than a permission issue is going on , as you can see from running Avast! as both  user and root . Plus that both FreewheelinFrank and myself get the same message .
I wouldn't delete or move to virus chest any such files , as it's obviously an error .
Also, which are your avat report settings?
In the Log viewer they ( the scan results ) are listed under ERROR .
I'll check this out further to gain a better understanding of running scans so I can give more informed results . I guess the bottom line is Avast! struggles to scan certain Linux files .
FreewheelinFrank :
By the way, there's a spelling mistake in the error message: occurred is the correct spelling.
;D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
This gave fewer "Permission denied" , "File was not tested due to configuration details " , "No such file or directory " in the scan results list . Although still get ; "An error occured in avast! engine: No such file or directory" upon right-clicking on an individual file within scan result list.

The problem seems to be with quick scan: I'd stick to standard scan- it doesn't seem to take much longer.

;D

That was aimed at avast! the spelling mistake is real in the error notification.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
The problem seems to be with quick scan: I'd stick to standard scan- it doesn't seem to take much longer.
Thanks Frank , will try standard scan then.
"... the spelling mistake is real in the error notification."
Yeah , I noticed it to , just reiterating the point ,
Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »
I'll take to test later... now I'm on Vista.
But the Frank's clue about the quick scanning could say something to the programmers...
The best things in life are free.