Author Topic: Errors creating symlinks during Avast4Workstation install  (Read 6446 times)

ShellyCat

Errors creating symlinks during Avast4Workstation install
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
Hello,

I just tried uncompressing the Avast! tarball, and I see many, many messages like this when I scroll back through the output of tar -xzvf:

Code: [Select]
tar: avast4workstation-1.0.8/lib/avast4workstation/lib/libavastengine-4.so.7: Cannot create symlink to `libavastengine-4.so.7.0.1': Operation not permitted

tar: avast4workstation-1.0.8/share/doc/avast4workstation-1.0.8/helpfiles: Cannot create symlink to `../../../lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/help': Operation not permitted

tar: avast4workstation-1.0.8/bin/avast: Cannot create symlink to `../lib/avast4workstation/bin/wrapper-script.sh': Operation not permitted
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Do I need to make some adjustment to my system before I try it again?
System: Slackware 12.0 with kernel 2.6.21.5-smp

gstewart

Re: Errors creating symlinks during Avast4Workstation install
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »
For a moment, it looked as though the tarball didn't want to be unpacked as a non-priveledged user (i.e, not 'root'), but I tried it (granted, on Fedora 8, not Slackware) and it unwound and created the symlinks just fine.

Are you trying to unwind it in a dir where your user doesn't have full write permissions? Or, is the user your are logged in with restricted from running /bin/ln?

ShellyCat

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:10 PM »
Are you trying to unwind it in a dir where your user doesn't have full write permissions? Or, is the user your are logged in with restricted from running /bin/ln?

I was logged in as root...I will check the dir to make sure there's nothing funky about my permissions, buy I doubt it.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »

I was logged in as root...I will check the dir to make sure there's nothing funky about my permissions, buy I doubt it.

the tarbal will untar fine for both user and rot, but it's wise to untar it as user.

tar zxvf avast4workstation-1.0.8.tar.gz

of course, the directory where you untar it must be writable for you, and must be able to accomodate symlinks....
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)