Author Topic: How much Trouble am I in???  (Read 2846 times)

hmbt2

How much Trouble am I in???
« on: March 16, 2004, 04:12:36 PM »
Hi there,

Not being the most computer literate person in the world I only found out about virus protection and firewalls when things started going strange on my PC, until know I always thought they were for big companys with important data to hide, not little old me!

I've got a sony Viao, running Win2Kpro and now thanks to Avast am ironing out a few of the problems, however...

On boot up scan when Avast4 finds a virus, What do I do with it? Often I can't repair it due to Error 42060 and I'm reluctent to delete or move the windows files they are often in cos I don't know what they do!

Incedently I keep hearing a warning tone, like an error messege is about to pop up, but it doesn't!

Oh and I can't log into hotmail anymore, but that may be something to do with my Zone Alarms firewall as I keep denying a lot of programs internet access as again, I don't know what they are.

How do you learn about all this stuff anyway, is there a book or did you all learn along the way!

Thanks for your patiance in reading this,

Take Care, H.

techie101

Re:How much Trouble am I in???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:44:33 PM »
On boot up scan when Avast4 finds a virus, What do I do with it?
Normally Avast will give you the option to Move (to the Virus chest), Repair, or Delete.

Often I can't repair it due to Error 42060 and I'm reluctent to delete or move the windows files they are often in cos I don't know what they do!
What did the Error 42060 say?  Was access to files denied?

Incedently I keep hearing a warning tone, like an error messege is about to pop up, but it doesn't!
This "tone" could be anything or associated with any program in your system.  Until a pop-up arrives, there is not much I can do about this one.

Oh and I can't log into hotmail anymore, but that may be something to do with my Zone Alarms firewall as I keep denying a lot of programs internet access as again, I don't know what they are.
Open up Zone Alarm and find the tab for Programs.  Look down the list until you see Hotmail.  You can change the "permission" to Allow or Ask and should be ok.

How do you learn about all this stuff anyway, is there a book or did you all learn along the way!
I am sure that thre are many volumes on antivirus programs and viri.  Much can be obtained on the internet.  You can start by going to different Anti-virus vendor sites and read up on the different programs and viri.  Participate in forums such as this one.  And ask questions!
Most of what we learn is by experimentation with different programs and getting "bit" by problems with them.

If you are a newbie to all this, then rely on the recommendations and guidance of senior members of the forum and the Avast Team.

Good luck

Techie101

LAB

Re:How much Trouble am I in???
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 06:51:02 PM »
It might not be zonealarm causing your Hotmail problem. I know there was a problem with Hotmail in the last few days and Microsoft was working on getting the problem corrected.