Author Topic: How do I set up Windows XP's firewall compatible with Avest 4.7 Home?  (Read 2317 times)

scotpiper

I could use some VERY detailed instructions. NEWBIE!!!!!!!  :-[
Did I mention....VERY detailed?
Thanks in advance. All of you have been a lot of help to me so far.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I set up Windows XP's firewall compatible with Avest 4.7 Home?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
You shouldn't need to because the XP firewall provides zero outbound protection.

Why do you ask, are you experiencing a problem ?

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.
Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

scotpiper

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
I ask because, since downloading my last MS updates, I have a balloon popping up telling me my MS firewall is not on and that it should be. Yes, I have been having problems. A trojan virus and 5 malware infections in the last few days alone. If you search my username, you can see all of my posts on those subjects. I think I finally got everything cleaned up, with the help of all of you here and an MS virus tech, but am trying to do all I can to stop it from happening again. I have basic computer skills and am learning on the fly, so ...may I pick your brain? So, outbound firewall protection is important because it keeps my private info from being pulled OFF my computer and sent somewhere else? Is there such a thing as inbound protection and is it important too? Do you have any firewall reccommendations if the MS firewall isn't very useful? Are there any free ones? We're about to get DSL from our phone company, which includes a firewall. What questions should I ask them about their firewall? If it's a cheesy firewall, will I be able to turn it off and use another? If so, how?

Gouveia

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Basically, inbound protection is provided by the antivirus software. I don't know much about firewalls, but I think that any that can protect both ports and the network will do the job all right.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
Malware tries to disable not only firewalls but anti-viruses as well for obvious reasons.

There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.
See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security