Author Topic: Red "avast! Information" notice  (Read 25029 times)

lazydogmot

Red "avast! Information" notice
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »
Hi Everyone
  I am running Vista with Zone Alarm 7.1 and have dial up. avast! has permission in Zone Alarm (Access and Server) for updating. Usually I put the computer to sleep instead of rebooting each time during the day. When I wake the computer and reconnect to the internet I receive a red notice that says "An error has occurred while attempting to update! Click here for more information...". It won't go away by itself and always stays on top so I have to click it. When I do, Vista blacks out and I have to give my permission to continue with avast!. Then I wait and finally get an "avast! Antivirus Setup" window that says "Vps: Already up to date". This does not happen on normal start up. Please, what is causing this and how do I stop it.
Thank you,
Tom

rassel

Re: Red "avast! Information" notice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
Did your computer connect to the internet? check your computer see weather your computer is connect to the internet or not and reply back if the problem still occur .

lazydogmot

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
Hi rassel
  Yes, the computer is connected to the internet. I need to change something I wrote before. This does happen on normal start up. At least it did today, and the same thing went on, notice on top, click, black screen, give permission, up to date.
Thanks again,
Tom

Gouveia

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »
That happens a lot with me on dial-up. I don't know about the black-out thing, though. Might be a conflict betwee avast! and zone alarm?

lazydogmot

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »
Hey Gouveia
   The black out thing comes from Vista right before you have to give a program (avast!, in this case) permission to continue. It's a Vista "feature".
Thanks,
Tom

Gouveia

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »
Hey Gouveia
   The black out thing comes from Vista right before you have to give a program (avast!, in this case) permission to continue. It's a Vista "feature".
Thanks,
Tom
oh, ok. I don't use vista a lot, that's why I didn't knew, I guess :p

But, giving permission everytime? In brazilian vista, there is the "Always give permission" feature, or something like it. Do you click that, or the one that only gives permission one time?

lazydogmot

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »
Hi Again
Yeah, it's a pain but you have to do it each time you open certain programs. The screen turns black and stops everything and a little permission window (User Account Control) opens and you click continue or cancel. "Always give permission"? Where is that? I like it! But after I solve this problem.
Thank you,
Tom

tls

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
In your program settings, is "I only connect to the internet using a dial-up modem" ticked?

(  right-click tray icon > Program Settings > Update (Connections)  )

lazydogmot

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
Hello tls
Yes it is ticked. Could it be that avast! is not waiting long enough for the computer to connect to the internet? Should I tick "Delay loading of avast!........." under the "Troubleshooting" setting? ???
Thank you,
Tom

tls

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
Instead of delaying the loading of avast, you might try editing the avast4.ini file, [InetWD] section as described in DavidR's post:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33145.0

This worked for me on my mother's computer.  Mine was the simpler solution I mentioned (I have no idea how it got "unticked."

lazydogmot

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »
Hello tls
I could not find any of the files mentioned. Can you direct me to them?
Thanks
Tom

tls

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 01:22:36 AM »
The file is in the "Data" folder in your avast! installation folder, usually C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\avast4\Data.  Open the file in notepad.  The [InetWD] section is not far from the bottom.  I hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums.

lazydogmot

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 06:19:18 AM »
Hi Again tls
I did find the Configuration Settings, but, while the AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 (which I guess refers to a dial-up connection) the other ones were not there. An UpdatePeriod=240 and underneath it was [Quick] was there but I was scared :o to change it, that it might not be the right thing and would ruin everything. ???
Thanks,
Tom
P.S. I might get up the nerve later. Maybe with a little coaxing.

lazydogmot

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »
Hello
Well I changed UpdatePeriod=240 to UpdatePeriod=120 and all it did was make the red notice pop up quicker. Apparently I am not able to update Automatically. I am able to update manually.
Thanks again,
Tom 

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

Please check your settings in avast. Right click the "a" ball in the system tray, Click on "Program settings ..." and then click on "Update [basic] and on "Update [Connections]. See my examples below. As for the connections, if you are not on dial-up like I am, check the second box instead. Click the images to enlarge them.

Does this help any?