Author Topic: Red "avast! Information" notice  (Read 25026 times)

lazydogmot

Re: Red "avast! Information" notice
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
Hi CharleyO
In my first post, in the first line I stated that I am using dial up and that is what I have checked. I also answered that I had the dial up box "ticked" in a reply to tls yesterday, the 18th, at 1:18PM. I have tried changing the settings for Update (Basic) but it makes no difference.
Just spinin' my wheels and goin' backwards,
Tom
Sorry, just frustrated.

rassel

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
well this what the problem and this happen to me when my connection fail. So while finding the solution you better update it manually

lazydogmot

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »
Hi Again rassel
That's what I do, after I give the Automatic Update a chance. If it won't update, I do it manually.
Thanks,
Tom

rassel

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »
your welcome and if the avast still not automatically update than reply back and i have this problem before and what i did is reinstall the avast.

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »

You might also try a repair of avast.

Add/Remove programs > click on avast > click on Change/Remove > in left pane, scroll down and click on Repair > click ok and follow directions

lazydogmot

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
Hi CharleyO
In Vista it's called "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. When I highlight the avast! program I do not get "Repair" option. With some programs you do get "Change" or "Repair" options but with avast! the options are "Uninstall" or "Change". I am not quite sure what the "Change" option will do. But, I think I am on to something else that has to do with the use of the Norton Removal Tool that I used to remove NAV 2007. I'll get back to you on that.
Thank you,
Tom

tls

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:40 PM »
After you click "Change" you should see something similar to the example below.  (The screen shot was taken after I scrolled down to "Repair."  It is of avast! Pro; but the free edition, which I have on my older computer, appears essentially the same.)   

The avast4.ini file value to change is "RASWaitSeconds" (to RASWaitSeconds=120) so that avast! doesn't           check for an update before you have a functional connection to the internet.  It should be under [InetWD]:
          [InetWD]
          UseRAS=1
          RASWaitSeconds=120
This is assuming your problem is similar to the one I had with my mother's computer and dial-up connection, where avast! was trying to update before her AOL software would allow the connection.  Extending the length of avast's "wait" avoided this little disagreement.   

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:53:06 PM by t l s »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »
But, I think I am on to something else that has to do with the use of the Norton Removal Tool that I used to remove NAV 2007. I'll get back to you on that.
What exactly?
The best things in life are free.

lazydogmot

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 03:17:06 AM »
Hi CharleyO andTech
I read that using Norton Removal Tool removed an important system variable, Common AppData, in C:\Windows\. I downloaded the registry file and ran it but it didn't help.

Hello tls
The Vista on this machine has no "Repair" section in the window that opens. There is "Uninstall", "Change" and "Update".
I don't mind updating manually but the red screen that pops up and stays on top of everything until it's clicked then takes you nowhere is really buggin' me.
About to give up,
Tom

tls

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 03:35:47 AM »
Hi Tom,

This is far from a "fix," but it should take care of the red box--Right click the tray icon > Program Settings > Update (Basic) > Details, un-tick "Show sliding box on error."

And, just for clarification, the window that opens looks like this one (below), but without the ability to scroll down to "Repair?"

lazydogmot

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
Hiya tls
Yup, that's the window but no "Repair" option. Just the three I mentioned. Snooping around, I found the "Repair" option on "the window" for other programs though. Who knows?
Thank you,
Tom

rassel

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
lazydogmot if the repair not solving the problem the best way i can give you is to uninstall the avast and reinstall back. This the way that help me and some of them. And don't forget about the key registration.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
I read that using Norton Removal Tool removed an important system variable, Common AppData, in C:\Windows\. I downloaded the registry file and ran it but it didn't help.
Where did you read? Norton Removal Tool works very well.

The Vista on this machine has no "Repair" section in the window that opens. There is "Uninstall", "Change" and "Update".
Isn't there a scroll bar that allows you to see the repair option at the bottom of the list? ???
Maybe reinstalling will be the way...
The best things in life are free.

lazydogmot

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »
Hello rassel   
I have reinstalled avast! three or four times and still the sliding red box appears.

Hi Tech (Hitech that's funny!)(no offense intended)
The Norton Removal Tool is the best way to remove anything Norton. I've used it a couple of times. Way better than Control Panel "Uninstall"! But maybe too well according to AVIRA FAQ: "Start Update" fails on Vista.  http://www.avira.com/en/support/faq/details.html?id=213
No, I didn't see a scroll bar.
Thanks everyone,
Tom

rassel

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
Well that problem might making your headache  ::)  :-* well i know this is stupid but i wanna ask did you follow the instruction by rebooting the computer when your uninstalling or reinstalling? or try to disable your ZoneAlarm and see weather the update works or not.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:58:05 AM by rassel »