Author Topic: Red "avast! Information" notice  (Read 25032 times)

lazydogmot

Re: Red "avast! Information" notice
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »
Hey rassel
I did reboot after installation(s) and disabled ZA but neither had any effect.
Tom

rassel

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
 :o Oh did you ;D sorry than i have no more idea or you can try others anti virus and see weather it will update or not OR wait for the others to reply here and see they can help you or not.

tls

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »
Tom, I know you said you have reinstalled avast more than once.  After uninstalling using "Add/Remove" or "Programs and Features" (or whatever it's called), did you use the avast uninstall utility (aswclear.exe) before you reinstalled avast, rebooting between steps, of course?  Long ago, I had to uninstall and reinstall avast after removing Norton, before avast worked completely right.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

lazydogmot

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 12:55:47 AM »
Hi tls
I believe that Programs and Features takes you to the avast! uninstall utility. To be perfectly honest, between avast!, AVG Antivirus and AntiVir (the one that I am using now because it is running with no problems even though it does not scan e-mail) I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled anitvirus programs so many times I could not swear to anything. AVG started freezing my computer (after some updates from others) when I tried to open an e-mail client (Windows Mail or Thunderbird) when the AVG E-Mail Scanner was on. I then had to unplug the computer, reboot and go from there. When I first installed AntiVir, I could not update until I ran the program to reinstall some of the files that the Norton Removal Tool had taken out of Vista. Now it updates automatically or manually.  You know what I am going through here. Because of e-mail scanning, I may try avast! or even AVG again later. I blame no one (maybe Microsoft) and I have no malice toward any anti-virus programs.
I thank everyone on this forum that has helped me,
Tom 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:00:12 AM by lazydogmot »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 02:17:31 AM »
I may try avast! or even AVG again later.
What does get wrong with your first avast experience?
The best things in life are free.

lazydogmot

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 05:49:14 AM »
Hello Tech (lo tech, that's funny)
My first experience with avast! was this one, no automatic updating, red warning that would not go away unless you played with it for awhile, time after time every day. Not much really, but like I said, I'm old and don't have that much time left and don't want to go out fussing with any anti-virus program.  I have other things I need to do first. Heck, just on this forum, I've spent almost 9 hours.
Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 05:53:48 AM by lazydogmot »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL), just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

tls

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »
Tech,

I don't think Tom is looking for a DSL solution. In his first post, he said he has a dial up connection.

Earlier in this thread, I suggested editing "RASWaitSeconds" under [InetWD] (reply #9, with a link to DavidR's instructions, and reply #20).

He changed "UpdatePeriod", but he didn't say he tried making any other changes.

Hi Again tls
I did find the Configuration Settings, but, while the AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 (which I guess refers to a dial-up connection) the other ones were not there. An UpdatePeriod=240 and underneath it was [Quick] was there but I was scared :o to change it, that it might not be the right thing and would ruin everything. ???
Thanks,
Tom
P.S. I might get up the nerve later. Maybe with a little coaxing.

Hello
Well I changed UpdatePeriod=240 to UpdatePeriod=120 and all it did was make the red notice pop up quicker. Apparently I am not able to update Automatically. I am able to update manually.
Thanks again,
Tom 

terry

P.S.   ???

lazydogmot

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
Hi Gang
After all this, it turns out, it was the latest update for my Zone Alarm firewall. I did a System Restore and the problem cleared up until ZA was updated (again) to the latest version. I switched to COMODO Firewall Pro and everything is back to normal. I still have my fingers crossed though.
Thank you all for your help. You'll probably be glad not to hear from me anymore.  ::) Duh!
Tom

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »
You'll probably be glad not to hear from me anymore.  ::) Duh!
No, we not. We don't like to lose any forum member ;)

tls

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:58 AM »
You'll probably be glad not to hear from me anymore.  ::) Duh!

Not at all.  Questions are good--no one would learn much without them.  Thanks for posting the solution to your problelm.  It may be helpful to others.