Author Topic: opening files with avast! very slow  (Read 11235 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: opening files with avast! very slow
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 03:10:10 PM »
I think is should be pretty clear that this is an avast! problem, since this is fixed when "standard shield" is taken off-line.
Just to think: interaction between programs requires at least two. avast could be one which one is the other? Can't be a problem in the second one? Firewall, security program, bad uninstalled antivirus...?

However I would like to ask what is the impact of disabling the "standard shield"?  There are still 7 other services running.  It is not enough to just disable the file scanning to some extent (as suggested above) the who service needs to be "terminated".
Disabling Standard Shield is killing the antivirus core...
You can disable open/modified/created files scanning, reducing protection and improving performance in some extent.
The best things in life are free.

mburris

Re: opening files with avast! very slow
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:40 AM »
I was having this problem as well.  I did a bit of troubleshooting and found the problem and solution for my situation, it may work for you as well.

My server that I was trying to save the 15MB file to was running Symantec Corporate Antivirus v8.  Disabling the real time protection allowed the file to save much more quickly.  This is a reported issue that Microsoft has addressed in a KB article you can read about here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329309.

I am going to attempt to upgrade the server to a newer antivirus program and see if that makes a difference or not.