Other > Viruses and worms

Unknown virus/worm

(1/2) > >>

Mukko:
I`ve got a computer with Windows 98.
The problem I`ve got is that many games, just shuts down after the intro. I`ve tried everything related to the games (patching, reinstalling and such), but it doesn`t help me :| . I have also formatted a part of my harddisk.
Could it be a worm/virus and what to do?
Also tried Avast/Spybot/Adaware-removal.

/Marcus.

Eddy:
Before I begin, let me give you a tip. Questions like this can also be asked on IRC, #windows95 on Dalnet. If you don't know irc, just forget that I said this ;)

Doesn't sound like a virus to me. More like a problem with drivers and/or windows itself. For starters try this:

Start, run, sfc. Let it replace all files that has been changed, reboot and try 2 or 3 games again.

If that doesn't work:

visit the manufacturers sites of the sound and video card and make sure you have the latest drivers for them. Also make sure you have the latest version of directx (www.microsoft.com/directx)

If that doesn't work:

Reinstall windows98 on top of the excisting version. (NOT format and clean install) Boot from 98se bootfloppy, run setup from the 98 cd and when it asks where to install let it do so in the same directory windows is currently in which mostly is c:\windows

If that doesn't work either:

Backup stuff that is important to you and do a clean installation.

But before trying this, you may wait a bit to see if others have any other possible solutions.

Summoner Yuna:
I had this problem with command and conquer generals. If you have updated your video card drivers roll back the update. thats what happend to me

Mukko:
The problem is that I`ve tried both new Direct X and drivers, but it doesn`t help.
Also tried the sfc command, no files replaced.
Should look around a while, if you got more tips, I would be happy : ).

Eddy:
Many games are using Quicktime to show the intro and other stuff. Make sure you have the latest version installed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version