Author Topic: Avast! MAC - Multi-threaded scanning Deamon  (Read 7592 times)

Offline SMPlante

• Avast! newbie
    • Les Services Michel Plante
Avast! MAC - Multi-threaded scanning Deamon
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Do you expect to add the ability of Avast! MAC to scan multiple Volume in the same time in the future.

Right now, Avast! is only able to scan one Volume at the same time (see included picture).

This is a very big limitation compared to your competition.

Thank's

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast! MAC - Multi-threaded scanning Deamon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
Hallo,

the scanning daemon is able to do this right now, so it's a GUI's limitation only (and in the fact, daemon normally scans in parallel incoming mails, modified files and on-demand stuff).

but, it's quite questionable how to present such results and keep the relative simplicity of the gui. we might add scanlist-tabs (one possibility), but most people do the on-demand thorough scan only ocassionally so I'm not sure whether this feature would be utilised by significant amount of users...

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline SMPlante

• Avast! newbie
    • Les Services Michel Plante
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
Hi Zilog,

I do not know if other user are using or not the automatic "Scan inserted Media" feature from Avast! but I find that it could be dangerous to either insert unknow media (CD/DVD/USB Stick or Remote Server Connexion) without a proper full scan.

As you probably know, most of user (today) are in the rush and they will insert multiple uncontrolled media in the computer without proper scan process (they either stop or do not even scan).  And this is (in most case) the reason the get infected.

So, base on my experience as a computer consultant, I always setup the Antivirus Service to the maximum security to protect again this type of behavior.  If the user stop the scan process, change the Set-Up or do not follow this simple protection action, it is his responsablity and he is not in good position to complain either about the software or computer service's.

I know the GUI is build by another company (OCSofware) but do you think the possibility of Multiple Volume Scan Feature would be implemented in the future ?

Thank's

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:57 PM »
Hi Zilog,

I do not know if other user are using or not the automatic "Scan inserted Media" feature from Avast! but I find that it could be dangerous to either insert unknow media (CD/DVD/USB Stick or Remote Server Connexion) without a proper full scan.

As you probably know, most of user (today) are in the rush and they will insert multiple uncontrolled media in the computer without proper scan process (they either stop or do not even scan).  And this is (in most case) the reason the get infected.

So, base on my experience as a computer consultant, I always setup the Antivirus Service to the maximum security to protect again this type of behavior.  If the user stop the scan process, change the Set-Up or do not follow this simple protection action, it is his responsablity and he is not in good position to complain either about the software or computer service's.

I know the GUI is build by another company (OCSofware) but do you think the possibility of Multiple Volume Scan Feature would be implemented in the future ?

Thank's

Hallo,

it sems that you are talking exclusively about the "scan inserted media" feature. It's a special kind of on-demand scan (because the files aren't accessed, bud we demand to scan the contents of just-inserted media), and thus it was made mutually-exclusive with another on-demand scan that already runs (or has its precious results in the window).

But, the consequences are similar - two or even more on-demand scans should be visualised in parallel, OR, the "scan inserted media" scan might run as an background task.

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)