Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 3884 times)

Datagg

Suggestion
« on: March 20, 2004, 08:43:53 PM »
Just a thought here. There are so many questions and concerns of how to set up avast and spam programs to work together in harmony that i was thinking that we could write up our own whitepages to have included in the avast exe. And since we have accumalated so many different spam program settings, we could even say, If you have this, do this to set up.  Just a thought....and my 2 cents. :o

CoJo

Re:Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:02:29 PM »
Just a thought here. There are so many questions and concerns of how to set up avast and spam programs to work together in harmony that i was thinking that we could write up our own whitepages to have included in the avast exe. And since we have accumalated so many different spam program settings, we could even say, If you have this, do this to set up.  Just a thought....and my 2 cents. :o

Datagg, I think that is worth more than 2 cents! ;

Sometimes I wish we had a forum just for newbies...with the type of information you are talking about--solutions to common problems they may encounter when first setting up Avast! Something more complete than FAQs...if possible.
Of course, people don't have the same problems, but there is some commonality to their questions.
Many people--myself included!--don't really look around and read the directions, so to speak, before they become frantic.
If we had something like, "If you are new to Avast!, please start here..."
ah, sounds silly in a way, though :-[

cojo

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:55:40 AM »
No, not silly in any way CoJo !!!

I consider myself not an expert, but also I am far from novice or newbie... but, one thing should be clear to averybody:

We all have started like newbies one day... and we all know how hard is to find some answers especially in computer/hardware/software related fileds

That should be the main reason (if not to help a friend) not to forget our newbie freinds, our freshbies. We are here to help each other... support forum means, if you hang around in this forum, then you are part of one of those two groups: 1.) newbie - you have to ask for help... or...
2.) technical support - to support someone with some useful information.

Cheers !

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 07:36:50 AM »
You have a good idea Datagg.

Since I use Spam Pal with Avast email scanner my set up is as follow in my email clients.

User Account "myname#mail.myisp.com@localhost.

Inoming server: localhost
Outgoing server: localhost

Incoming port: 1110
Outgoing port:     25

SpamPal settings:

Port number: 111 for mail.myisp.com
LAN configuration: localhost
Access control: localhost

Avast settings are it's own default settings.

The incoming ports are all different for Avast (110), email client (1110) and Spampal (111).

Also, localhost on my machine translates to IP 127.0.0.1 and is normally the case on most machines.  But I would recommend using the IP address 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost in the settings mentioned above just to make sure you get it right the first time.

I know you have figured out some really complex combination of things configured with the Avast email scanner.  But like Cojo mentions some people don't have an easy time with settings like these but the best and only thing we can do is provide the actual settings.  Outside of that, it is up to the end user to figure out how to enter the settings to get them to work and each email client and so forth are different on exactly where to enter such settings.  I'm speaking of course of the chain of events that need to occur when using multiple programs to scan email and have messages successfully land in your inbox at the end of that chain.

When configuring a chain of events for scanning email, I recommend that the email client needs to work properly with just Avast first than start adding each additional program one at a time until the chain is working properly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 07:47:15 AM by Culpeper »