Author Topic: Convincing Avast to co-habitate with Proventia Desktop  (Read 3831 times)

piers

Convincing Avast to co-habitate with Proventia Desktop
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »

Hello,

I'd like to find a solution to a conflict between Avast Home and Proventia Desktop.  Avast detects a component of Proventia: C:\Program Files\ISS\Proventia Desktop\IBE\ICELSP_8.0.614.0.dll as a virus and locks down all network connections.

Entering C:\Program Files\ISS\ as an exclusion path in Avast's settings does not prevent it from being detected. 

What else might I try?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Convincing Avast to co-habitate with Proventia Desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

piers

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

Okay, I've emailed the file to Avast.

I added the exclusion paths C:\Program Files\ISS\ and C:\Program Files\ISS\Proventia Desktop\IBE\ICELSP_8.0.614.0.dll to the Advanced list of locations that should not be scanned but it is still being picked up by Avast as a virus.

If a .dll is loaded into memory does it matter if it's path is excluded?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
If a .dll is loaded into memory does it matter if it's path is excluded?
Maybe booting... ???

piers

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »

Booting...  If you mean system startup then it's not during boot that Avast finds the file though.  It's whenever Proventia's firewall is triggered by anything new trying to access the network.

The Avast warning comes up:
C:\PROGRA~1\ISS\PROVEN~1\IBE\ICELSP~1.DLL
Win32:Agent-PTF [trj]

I hit 'No Action' which allows the Proventia Application Control screen to come up and let me choose whether or not to block or allow the program.

I can run Proventia alongside NOD32 without a hitch, but there are some things that only Avast's Boot scan can eliminate, so I'd prefer Avast.

Any other ideas?

If not, what is the best way to keep Avast from starting automatically while still being able to use boot scan?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »
Booting...  If you mean system startup then it's not during boot that Avast finds the file though.  It's whenever Proventia's firewall is triggered by anything new trying to access the network.
I mean changing the Exclusion Lists and boot (start the computer again).

If not, what is the best way to keep Avast from starting automatically while still being able to use boot scan?
avast should correct the false positive quickly... I don't see a huge reason to change its configuration. I'll ask for urgency... if I can ask for anything here...

piers

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

I wish, but no, restarting the system didn't make a difference.  There must be a function with a higher priority that overrides the exclusion paths.

Thanks for asking, that's fantastic.  In the meantime, I've stopped the scanner from running.  In your opinion, how long should I wait before checking in again?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:14 PM »
Copy the path from the virus dialog into Standard Shield exclusion list.

piers

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »

It's always so irritating to be told I've been accidentally stepping on my own brain for an entire afternoon.

Thanks Igor.   ;D