Author Topic: sudden problems with A4.7 on 2 machines  (Read 2532 times)

jerkin

sudden problems with A4.7 on 2 machines
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
Let me preface this by saying I do not know much about computers,lol.  The problem with my laptop is that the globe with the A in it stopped spinning, letting me know that it's working.  This happened in Oct. with my desktop and the repair did not work so you guys said to uninstall/reinstall which I did and it worked fine for the desktop.  I tried this last night on the laptop and it worked.  Now this morning it is doing the same thing.

The problem with my desktop is that it will not update.  Instead of getting the blue box in the bottom corner saying update successful I get a red box stating update not completed.  I did the repair on this a few days ago and it worked but is now doing the same thing again.  It seems to work OK if I do a manual update by right clicking on the globe and choosing iAVS update but I'm not sure that it's updating the same parameters as the automatic update.

Both computers are running XP, sp2, the xp firewall and spybot for malware.  Both have been set up this way for a long time with no problems until a few days ago.  Any ideas????

EDIT:  Something else I noticed with the laptop, it's constantly checking AavmGuih.dll  everytime I look at it.  Not sure if that means something or not.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:58:20 PM by jerkin »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: sudden problems with A4.7 on 2 machines
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
On program settings, there is an option to spin the icon on the tab appearance.

Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

jerkin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
I checked the animation for the globe to spin and it is activated.  The repair did not work, tried it last night.  The reinstall worked last night but as of this morning it is not working again.  This is the only antivirus installed on the computer.  Thanks.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »

The default location for this file is ...   c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\aavmguih.dll

Is this the location on your computer?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Into [AAVM] section of avast4.ini file, which is set for value AnimateIcon?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10268#msg10268

jerkin

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »
I just checked and the file is in the location you specified.  Animate icon is checked.  I did another reinstall last night and a reboot and it seems to be working for now.  I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Not sure if the desktop has updated correctly or not.  I'm not sure how to check when it updated without being here to see it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
Not sure if the desktop has updated correctly or not.  I'm not sure how to check when it updated without being here to see it.
I'm not following you correctly... but if you need to know if avast updated, check avast logs.