Author Topic: can't get the checked by 'Avast' message in my outgoing mail??  (Read 12419 times)

2harts4ever

can't get the checked by 'Avast' message in my outgoing mail??
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
Good morning everyone,

I don't seem to be able to find the correct way to include the 'checked by Avast' line in all of my outgoing email.

I am using Outlook Express.  Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
PS: I have searched your forum but for one reason or another I don't seem to be able to do it by trying the suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can't get the checked by 'Avast' message in my outgoing mail??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »
Don't forget that you will not see the inserted note in the 'Sent Items' folder of your mail program, because avast adds the note after the mail leaves the mail program.

Into your avast settings (Internet Mail provider) are the notes set to be inserted?
The best things in life are free.

2harts4ever

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
Hi Tech,

Do I have to type the clean message in myself or what do I actually do once I go to the Internet Mail > Customize >SMTP > and I have checked both 'Scan Outgoing Mail' and 'Insert Note Into Clean Message'?

Do I have to type in the message  once I click on 'Format of the Notes' or is it already done?

Thanks and Regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »
Do I have to type the clean message in myself or what do I actually do once I go to the Internet Mail > Customize >SMTP > and I have checked both 'Scan Outgoing Mail' and 'Insert Note Into Clean Message'?
This setting allows you to send (add) the default clean note message on each email received (pop3) or sent (smtp). You can edit the note as well, if you want. I've done it and reduce it to only one line.

Do I have to type in the message  once I click on 'Format of the Notes' or is it already done?
If you let the default, the default note will be added. You can edit it if you want.

2harts4ever

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:17:58 PM »
Hi Tech,

I appreciate the fast response.  I have checked both the 'Scan Outgoing Mail' and "Scan Incoming Mail' and the 'Insert Note Into Clean Message' boxes for both POP3 and SMTP and I still can't get the message into either my outgoing or incoming email.

Apparently I am missing something ...besides my brains ...lol

Regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »
Apparently I am missing something ...besides my brains ...lol
Do you mean that if you send an email to yourself, there isn't any note added?

2harts4ever

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
Hi Tech,

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

What I am trying to say is that when I receive an email from someone, like the notification from your forum that I have an answer,  there is no message on the email saying it has been checked by 'avast'.

Likewise,  when I am sending emails to my friends they tell me there is nothing on the email saying it was checked by 'avast'.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

miscreant

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »
What OS are you using ,and also are you using any form of spam programme that intercepts the mail before outlook express?.Also does the internet mail window actually show that mail is being scanned (see scanned count and last scanned mail).
m

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
Could you add in your avast4.ini file under section [MailScanner] a value like this:

PatchBase64=1

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10267#msg10267
Disable Internet Mail provider, add the value, save the file, enable Internet Mail provider and test if it helps.

To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2008), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

2harts4ever

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:51 PM »
Hi miscreant  and Tech,

Miscreant might be on to my problem.  I am using Windows XP Home, SP#2, running IE7.

Comcast, my Internet provider, does screen all my incoming mail before it goes to Outlook Express and my free Zone Alarm firewall has what they call 'Mail Safe'  (VBS only.. whatever that means) and I have that enabled.

Also, on the Internet Mail page, it shows '0' as the number of emails scanned and I have gotten at least 10-15 today, not counting my own tests.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:31:04 PM by 2harts4ever »

miscreant

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:46 PM »
The 0 scanned shows that mail scanner is not intercepting at all ,hence the lack of tagging.A search of comcast smtp reveals that they apparently use port 587 rather than port 25 which is what avast mail scanner would be intercepting.I dont know whether your Outlook express smtp settings are set to 587?.If so maybe changing the redirect port in avast>internet mail>customize>redirect>smtp...change to 587 may help?.As i say ,im not sure about the settings you might use or if this is the problem?.I guess tech would know more about this.
m
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:53:04 PM by miscreant »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 11:56:57 PM »
avast cannot scan any secured email connection. 

avast only scans those unsecured POP/SMTP ports (110 and 25) and can insert "clean notes" in those scanned messages.

If you are using SSL or TLS connections to receive/send your mail it is not scanned by avast and you must not follow any instructions to try to force avast to scan those ports.  If you do it will prevent the mail connection being made.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:23 AM »
If you really want to have emails that use secure connections scanned by avast (and get "clean" notes inserted) then you must use a third party program (STunnel) to handle the secure connections to the mail servers and then allow Outlook Express to use the unsecured ports 110/25 so that avast can scan the messages and insert the notes.

Using the search function for STunnel will give you recent advice on how to set up the STunnel program (which is free). 

miscreant

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:52 AM »
It does seem some folks are having problems with comcast and blocking of port 25 at least...
http://www.lockergnome.com/usrbingeek/2007/04/12/comcast-blocking-port-25/

m

2harts4ever

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:23 AM »
Everybody,

I appreciate all the advice and information but after checking it all out I guess with my limited 'computer know-how' I will just let things the way they are right now (i.e, let Comcast continue to monitor the email).

I would hate to do something and 'fry' this computer ...lol

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever