Author Topic: can't get the checked by 'Avast' message in my outgoing mail??  (Read 12446 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: can't get the checked by 'Avast' message in my outgoing mail??
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »
I am a Comcast user and have no problems with port 25.

There are cases where Comcast has blocked port 25 to individual users who have been using the port to send large volumes of spam (whether intentionally or without their knowledge due to a spambot infection).

The other issue for port 25 is that to use it you must be on the Comcast network.  All to often these days folks are connecting wirelessly from their local coffee shop or if at home are using whatever wireless connection they can connect to whether it is their own or a that of a neighbor.  Comcast will not allow (quite reasonably) a port 25 connection that has not been authenticated as a Comcast customer.     

2harts4ever

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
Hi again alanrf ,

I just checked my Outlook Express settings and for SMTP I have '465' and POP3 I have '995' and I also have checked the box for 'This Server requires a secure connection.

I can't remember but I think those two numbers are a result of when I was running Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.

Am I right or is this my problem?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

miscreant

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:36 AM »
If you have no problems with avast mail scanning with comcast and port 25 and assuming 2harts4ever is using port 25 ,then possibly the culprit may be ZAs mailsafe?.Reading back even if avast wasnt tagging smtp ,it should still have been tagging pop mail on 110  ,however nothing seems to have been scanned incoming or outgoing at all
m

miscreant

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:28 AM »
Hi again alanrf ,

I just checked my Outlook Express settings and for SMTP I have '465' and POP3 I have '995' and I also have checked the box for 'This Server requires a secure connection.

I can't remember but I think those two numbers are a result of when I was running Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.

Am I right or is this my problem?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Those settings seem to be the settings for googlemail account.Do you have a gmail account?.If so then i dont believe you can scan it as it uses secure protocol as alan said.
m

2harts4ever

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:42:57 AM »
Howdy,

The only email account I have is Outlook Express and I guess Comcast must filter them first before they go to Outlook Express.

Thanks,

2harts4ever

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
I think you may be confusing outlook express with what your actual email account is. Do you have an email address at gmail?

2harts4ever

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »
Morning oldman,

Thanks for joining the post.

No, I don't have a gmail address.  My email address is through Comcast.

Any suggestions?

As for being confused .. you bet I am....lol

But then I have spent the better part of 65 years that way.

Regards,

2harts4ever

miscreant

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »
I guess theres not really a lot you can do ,as you are using secured mail ,other than follow alanrfs advice in his first two posts.Bear in mind that even with mail scanner not functioning ,the standard shield would protect you from any email viruses anyway.
m

2harts4ever

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Hi miscreant,

Sounds good to me.  Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

2harts4ever