Author Topic: Why some hesitate about using SAS?  (Read 14314 times)

sanctuary24

Re: Why some hesitate about using SAS?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
I just get a bit nervous over updating things I havent had to update before (program updates not definitions I mean)

micky77

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »
I just get a bit nervous over updating things I havent had to update before (program updates not definitions I mean)
What i do is create a restore point before and after installs/upgrades.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 11:22:42 PM »
Tech will it update over the previous version (via search for program updates) and is it compatible with Avast and Comodo Firewall V2.4?
Sure.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
I have it updated now so I will keep an eye on it when I'm using it but for now everything is fine

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »
I have it updated now so I will keep an eye on it when I'm using it but for now everything is fine
Enjoy it ;)
Indeed it has a good 'cleaning' procedure (if it finds anything).
Few false positives. Of course, the on demand scanning could be faster...
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »
thanks again

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 11:49:37 PM »
If you need to see why AVG is dead and SAS is good look at this thread - first post http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/worm-win32-netsky-Can-help-t189885.html
Mindst you there is still more to remove
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:51:45 PM by essexboy »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 04:34:07 AM »
I agree with Lusher,( not sure about the last bit ) I saw a post somewhere from the developer Nick Skrepetos,strenuously denying Superantispyware ever being on any rogue list.Again I agree all new programs come under suspicion.And while SAS is indeed a brilliant program,Its GUI alone makes it look a tad cheap and possibly dodgy,to anyone who doubted it.

Hi micky
Just re-read your post and had to laugh  :). Don't take this the wrong way but as you're suspicious of both new programs and old-looking GUIs, a truly dodgy program made to look "middle-aged" could be you're Achilles heel!  ;D ;D
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

micky77

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »
I agree with Lusher,( not sure about the last bit ) I saw a post somewhere from the developer Nick Skrepetos,strenuously denying Superantispyware ever being on any rogue list.Again I agree all new programs come under suspicion.And while SAS is indeed a brilliant program,Its GUI alone makes it look a tad cheap and possibly dodgy,to anyone who doubted it.

Hi micky
Just re-read your post and had to laugh  :). Don't take this the wrong way but as you're suspicious of both new programs and old-looking GUIs, a truly dodgy program made to look "middle-aged" could be you're Achilles heel!  ;D ;D
I'm not sure what you mean.I am not suspicious of SAS.What I meant was,when it was new and under scrutiny,its interface looked cheap,and the website looks almost fake.,and then theres the bug for a tray icon  ;D.None of this bothers me,but it might put some people off.Now that AVG AS (paid) is finished,I'm sure SAS Pro sales will rocket.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »
Micky77

Don't worry about my sometimes obscure sense of humour. I realized you were not necessarily voicing your own opinion about SAS.

Re: Cheap-looking interfaces putting people off.
VET was for many years one of the best AVs around, especially for low resource usage, and some people doubted its effectiveness for no other reason than because the UI appearance was carried over from the original Windows 3.1 product right through  to early 2006.

Re: Fancy-looking interfaces putting people off.
While the new AVG 8.0 UI looks great and I'm sure the program itself is as trustworthy as ever, the inclusion of a "Security Toolbar" with a Yahoo search box and a a post-install request to make 'yahoo.com' your browser home page, is causing a bit of a stir with people I know  who are using it.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25