Author Topic: MANUAL  (Read 13655 times)

av-outsource

MANUAL
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:36:28 PM »
Please tell me were can I find an English manual. which will give details of large installations and recommendations etc.

I am unable to locate a product manual for Avast 4 Pro

shgoh

Re:MANUAL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 03:04:11 PM »
not too sure whether such a manual actually exists...

try the help file...or you can post your questions here???
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 03:04:34 PM by shgoh »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 03:19:18 PM »
Avast has a decent build in help. Start Avast, goto the menu, choose help.

Besides that, in this forum are already many issues covered. Do a search about something you want to know/learn.

If you can't find what you need. Post it in this forum and help is on it's way  :D

av-outsource

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:54:37 PM »
thanks for the reply.

I would like to know how it is possible to have distributed update locations on an internal network in say a 300 user location using avast! 4 Professional.

Is this possible?

Also is it possible to make a package of avast4 pro for installation via sms/tivoli etc with predefined configuration?

Your help would be appriciated.

thanks  ;D

northernguy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 12:11:12 AM »
I would like to know if Avast supports Eudora and if so how can I get it to work on Eudora.

Fwiw...I tell new users the most effective anti virus tactic is to stop using Outlook or Outlook express.

Northernguy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:28:58 AM »
I would like to know if Avast supports Eudora and if so how can I get it to work on Eudora.

Fwiw...I tell new users the most effective anti virus tactic is to stop using Outlook or Outlook express.

Northernguy

3. Supported applications

- Concurrent use of firewall and proxy
- New compression method of WinZip
- Multiple SMTP servers in resident protection (Internet Mail provider)
- Operational Systems: Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4/2000/XP
-
- Instant Messaging (communication) programs: MSN / Windows Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), mIRC and Trillian
- Internet Browsers: MS Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla
- Internet Mail Clients: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!
- P2P (file-sharing) programs: Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, Direct Connect, Direct Connect++, WinMX, BearShare, LimeWire, BitTorrent
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 04:45:06 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:38:53 AM »
Northernguy

Hi and welcome to Avast,

Technical's already, as usual, answered your main question in his inimitable style.  I use Eudora myself -- a few versions of avast! back, there was a bug that interfered with outgoing Eudora mail, but that was quickly fixed quite nicely.

I'm inclined to agree with you about OE -- I don't know if it's still true, but there used to be one heckuva lot of viruses in-the-wild which specifically targetted OE and its files.

(Edited -- forgetting in my old age which forum I'm currently in.  ;) )
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 12:40:51 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:28:17 AM »
Northernguy
Technical's already, as usual, answered your main question in his inimitable style.

Is it good?  ;D Or a bad style?  :'(
We don't have the k@rma stuff anymore to know about this  :-\
Thanks Mike  ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 04:13:45 AM »
Sorry, Technical, I sure did leave that open to interpretation, didn't I?  :-[  Meant you were quick and helpful, of course, as always.
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

northernguy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 06:36:53 AM »
Thanks for timely responses about Eudora being an accepted program for Avast.

Avast indicates that there are 5 providers total, 4 running. I take this to relate to email programs that are installed (oem) on my computer and that four(!) of them are running at boot up.

The on access scanner indicates that there are providers categorised as Instant messaging, Internet Mail, Outlook exchange, P2P Shield and Standard Shield available. All are versions 4.1-357.

If this list is email programs then I don't see Eudora included. Is there any way to know for sure if my Eudora email is being scanned. It's of no value to me to know that Outlook is being scanned as I never use it.

If it is working on Eudora what will happen if it finds a virus? I don't find Avast to be very intuitive to use and it definitely doesn't have much instruction on how to use it, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to figure out what to do if avast does intercept a virus.

Northernguy

shgoh

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 07:04:45 AM »
The on access scanner indicates that there are providers categorised as Instant messaging, Internet Mail, Outlook exchange, P2P Shield and Standard Shield available. All are versions 4.1-357.

you can customise & remove any providers that are of no use to you.....go to add/remove programs...avast...change program..

If this list is email programs then I don't see Eudora included. Is there any way to know for sure if my Eudora email is being scanned. It's of no value to me to know that Outlook is being scanned as I never use it.

by default there should be an email scanner icon in the system tray when downloading mails....you can try to open your resident scanner (system tray)...try to go to the mail provider and see whether there's any mail attachments being scanned...maybe you can also go to customise and add a note into scanned clean message for your assurance....

If it is working on Eudora what will happen if it finds a virus?

when there's a virus being found...avast will inform you with a popup alert...asking you to delete/move virus to chest...

I don't find Avast to be very intuitive to use and it definitely doesn't have much instruction on how to use it, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to figure out what to do if avast does intercept a virus.

it does take some time to appreciate how good avast! is... ;)

finally...i forgot to welcome you to this great avast community
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 07:12:40 AM by shgoh »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 03:28:43 PM »

If it is working on Eudora what will happen if it finds a virus? I don't find Avast to be very intuitive to use and it definitely doesn't have much instruction on how to use it, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to figure out what to do if avast does intercept a virus.

Northernguy

The provider you must configurate is the Internet Mail.
Choose if you want to scan the Inbound and/or Outbound Mail and if you want to add a note at the end of each email to know it was scanned.

If you try to read the avast! help file for this provider you will be able to configure it with easy. If you cannot do it, please ask specific questions and we will answer you.

Generally, when avast! found a virus you will see a popup Window of alert and can choose the action to do.  ;)

northernguy

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 07:28:03 PM »
I would like to thank everybody for their help.

The suggestion to check the box to include a message indicating the antivirus status of each message and then send a message to myself was much appreciated. It should have been obvious to me that marking the message would show whether it was being succesfully scanned by my machine.   ::)

Even though there is no indication that Eudora is being scanned, messages through Eudora are shown as having been scanned both in and out.   :)

I had to search around a bit to find the help file. The help that I could find initially, related to using non standard emailers. Simply including the av status in each mail made it apparent that everything was already working well so I choose to leave well enough alone.

Again thanks for your help.

Northernguy

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »
Even though there is no indication that Eudora is being scanned, messages through Eudora are shown as having been scanned both in and out.   :)

Obviously you're found what Avast adds to the headers of mail that it scans -- and it sounds like you've also turned on the "add note" option.

You may also have noticed that an additional blue toolbar icon appears while it's scanning incoming mail -- I can't remember whether that's also true for outgoing (if you also check outgoing), but it probably does.  That'll give you one more indication that it's scanning properly.

av-outsource

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 03:13:02 PM »
Guys you`ve not answered my email and rather changed the subject  ;D

So here it is again.

thanks for the reply.

I would like to know how it is possible to have distributed update locations on an internal network in say a 300 user location using avast! 4 Professional.

Is this possible?

Also is it possible to make a package of avast4 pro for installation via sms/tivoli etc with predefined configuration?

Your help would be appriciated.

thanks