Author Topic: Instant Messaging Provider ??  (Read 3151 times)

2harts4ever

Instant Messaging Provider ??
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
Good morning,

I just returned to avast! after trying out another program for about a year and I am still trying to reclaim what I used to know about the program and its providers.

Is the 'Instant Messaging' Provider supposed to scan every incoming Instant message?

In other words every time I receive a message will I see the 'Scan Count' increase or is the Provider just for certain files, etc.?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Instant Messaging Provider ??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »
It scan any files you receive through the messenger program not text.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

2harts4ever

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
Morning calcu007,

That makes me feel better.  I appreciate the fast response.

I can't seem to get my Email Internet provider to put a clean message into my outgoing email (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33527.0) and I was beginning to think my return to Avast! was a complete bust.

I would like to take the liberty to ask another provider question.  Is the Network Provider only active if you have a home network set up?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

sanctuary24

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
The network provider acts like a light firewall that catches various nasties that attempt access to your computer (I'm not too sure what nasties though ;D), you should leave it on even if you have a firewall as every layer of protection you have helps, plus I've heard it doesnt use too many resources so you may as well leave it active

2harts4ever

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
Hi sanctuary24,

I appreciate the input.  I was just curious why it never showed anything being scanned in the 'Scanned Count'?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

sanctuary24

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
no problem mate, the network provider is there to catch things the firewall and/or other providers miss/cant intercept, hope to see you around :)