Author Topic: INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta  (Read 63887 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:56:33 PM »
So, new betaversion of avast! is available.
Compared to the latest official build (357), it contains a few bugfixes, and most important - it contains the French translation of the user interface.

How to install the beta:
1. Download the file http://cat.asw.cz/beta-jap/servers.def and place it to the <avast>\setup folder (overwrite the existing file).
2. Invoke avast! program update.
3. After the update is performed (and computer restarted), go to program Settings, select the page Languages and click on the text To install additional languages, click here.
4. Check the "French language" modules and press Next - the French modules will be loaded and installed.
5. In the Language page, select French (it should be in the list now).

That's all. For the changes to take effect, avast! has to be restarted. For the changes to take effect even on the resident protection, you have to restart the computer again.

Note that servers.def is a text file - so I recommend to rightclick the link and select "Save as". If you leftclick it, it may open in your browser as a text. In that case, you can simply copy&paste it to the corresponding file, but the first method may be easier.

Note: The avast! user interface is translated. The translation of helps is partial (in progress) - and will occasionally be updated.

Note 2: the updates of the virus database (VPS) may not be as frequent for the beta as for the "ordinary" avast.

Of course, any comments from the French users are welcome.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 09:53:40 PM by igor »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 03:37:04 PM »
I think we can also accept respective comments from Canadian users... ;) [Quebec only]

;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hurricane

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 04:02:38 PM »
I've download, install, and i must restart my system.
I'll be back ;)
Thx very much Igor

Whisky51

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:09:30 PM »
For this moment all is ok ;D

Thx 8)

Hurricane

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »
All seems to be ok Igor.

Just few errors like text too long for the window
example:
during the avast start (the button for stop the memory scan)
I continue the test...

Hurricane

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 04:46:16 PM »
the server cat.asw.cz (195.47.75.50:80) seems to be down :'(
Impossible to make an update
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 04:50:14 PM by Hurricane »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 05:05:05 PM »
Just few errors like text too long for the window
example: during the avast start (the button for stop the memory scan)

OK, if you find any such problems (controls too small, typos, etc.) - just let me know where the problem is (e.g. through a private message) and I will fix it.
Thanks!

(I will resize the "Stop memory scan" button a little - even though on my Win2000 it displays OK).

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 06:12:55 PM »
I think we can also accept respective comments from Canadian users... ;) [Quebec only]

You might have to think about a whole new language pack if you want to cover that angle -- French as used in Canada is almost a totally different language from "French French".

I took four solid years of French in high school back in New York -- and it proved to be almost totally useless when I moved up here, because it was more or less Parisian French.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Hurricane

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 06:17:55 PM »
Have you got a french sounds package ?

clonevince

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 07:36:01 PM »

Note 2: only the program itself (user interface) is currently translated. The help files will hopefully follow. (Any volunteers?  :))

Of course, any comments from the French users are welcome.
Thanks!

i'm interesting to help you to translate integrally avast in french !

how can I help you ? :p

thanks for all

davmajor

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 08:14:48 PM »
I do not see why a specific "french canadian" version is here mentioned. I am from Montréal, 90% of the softwares I use are in french (MS Office, Yahoo Internet, Spybot, etc.). Hotmail is in french, so is Messenger and there are no canadian version.

To the ear, canadian french is different than parisian french. So is NY english from London english. I guess all these people can white to each other without problems...

aymeric

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 11:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the work ALWIL Team !!!  :)

I'll check it very soon...

I think many French user will be glad (as i am) to finnaly find a french translation.

major Den

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 01:33:08 AM »
(I will resize the "Stop memory scan" button a little - even though on my Win2000 it displays OK).

Hello !

The "Stop memory scan" button is ok on my W98SE, but the sentence to its left : "Le test de la mémoire a été effectué avec succès.  Le programme va ??" is too long.
(it must be something like "memory scan complete, avast will now continue" in the english version)

In the path selection window (when you click on the "folder" button), the sentence at the bottom should read "chemins d'accès choisis :".

When using the "teak zeppelin" or the "shadow fist" skins, the size of the font is too big for the "Disquettes" string (which appears when you click on the floppy/CD button)

Everything seems fine in the Quarantine dialogue.

You have done a pretty good job with the translation  ;)

I'll post again if I find anything wrong in the resident providers when I reboot  ;D

Den.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 09:54:09 AM »
The "Stop memory scan" button is ok on my W98SE, but the sentence to its left : "Le test de la mémoire a été effectué avec succès.  Le programme va ??" is too long.

Ah, OK. The problem is that the size of the window is given by the background bitmap (logo) - so it cannot be enlarged as whole. Do you have any short alternative for "Memory scan complete. Program will now continue..."? (There really isn't much space for it).

When using the "teak zeppelin" or the "shadow fist" skins...

Well, skins often cause problems... not only in French. It seems a skin suitable for all languages would have to cover the whole screen  ;D - because every language has a "long" item somewhere.

You have done a pretty good job with the translation  ;)

It was the users who actually did the translation. The thanks goes to them!

farfouille

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 04:22:04 PM »
Hi everybody

French version is a nice new.

For a short alternative for
"Memory scan complete. Program will now continue...",
 I propose :
Test mémoire achevé avec succès. Avast! va continuer..."

Hope this help