Author Topic: INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta  (Read 63882 times)

Rix

Re:INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2004, 11:50:41 PM »
I think :
"skin" => "thème". I forgot the existence of the (windows) term "thème".  ::)

Didn't knex it was a Windows' term, I'm more used to the Atari systems ;-)

For the term "scan", I kept the English term... because even if "scan" is an anglicism, "scan" is more used than "analyser" or "examiner".

Agree, it's a matter of tast.

I had the same problem with the term "Cluster" (to mean a group of computers), the French term "grappe" isn't very used... So I kept the English term.

I do not think that there is a good translation for this one. Better to keep the English one in this case, I think.

Another example, nobody use the official French term "Frimousse" to say "Smiley".  ;)

"Trombine" ou "souriard" ne sont pas mal.

If you want to use a pure French term, I prefer the term "analyser" ("analyze" in English) rather than "examiner".

Well, with the medical connotation of the term "virus" both are ok (even "scan", btw).

I just thought that "analyser" or "examiner" would be easier to understand by my sisters who need this forthcoming French version :-)

I will follow your suggestion and use "analyse(r)(s)" as much as possible.

big_gie

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 01:44:45 AM »
I agree with you both. Except for one thing.

When you say "scan" is more used then "analyser", it doesn't mean that "scan" is a french word. So in an official french release, we should use french words, not a mix of french and english.

Here in Quebec (Canada) we try to protect french by using the good french words instead of english ones ("escaliers roulants" instead of "escalators"). I'm not, and don't want to, bash France's french, but I think that french should stay french, english should stay english, etc. I'm not saying that we must reject other languages influence (that way their would never be any technological word in other languages than english...) but we must adapt our own by trying to "translate" new words.

I'm trying to use french words for things, so I try (even if its hard :)) to use "courriel" instead of "email" ("courriel" is a mix of "courrier" and "électronique", french words for "mail" and "electronic"). This is an exemple of adapting the language to new words instead of just taking the original one in english.

We speak french, not english :)

So my point is, if "scan" can be replace by "analyser", I think it should, even if we use in everyday the english word.

I think "thème" is adequate for "skin"

For smileys, I try to use "emoticone" wich is a mix of "emotion" and "icon" (those two words are the same in french and english)

Rix

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 02:43:30 AM »
I agree with you.

I like courriel. Pourriel is not bad too to translate spam  :)

Looks like I'm a little bit off topic...

big_gie

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 02:53:20 AM »
eheh :)

This is not off-topic. We are discussing important translation issues...

kubecj

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 04:23:52 PM »
You french guys are crazy  ;D

I'm czech and I would prefer all computer/technical terms not to be translated.

It takes unnecessary efforts and brings nothing positive in my point of view. Yeah, I'm computer professional, but I just don't think that people care if they have to learn 'scrollbar' or 'posuvna lista'... Both terms are IMO 'unnatural'.

Languages wouldn't die because of this, the original terms would be 'shifted' anyway. For example, the 'official' term for soccer is 'kopana' (kopat = to kick), but everybody uses 'fotbal' ('shifted' english football, with shorter and harder pronounciation). This is true for almost all of sports names.

Not to mention 'unofficial' language, the word for tools is 'naradi', but most people use 'vercajk' anyway (from german Werkzeug). Bottle = lahev (but also 'flaska' = Flasche).

Of course, there are naturally translated words, for example computer mouse is 'mys', which is the word for that little rodent.

But 'tema' (see theme) for 'skin' doesn't seem appropriate for me. English speakers seem not to have problems with some terms, but using 'kuze' (translation of 'skin', that pink thing all around me  8)) sounds ridiculous...

Creating artificial words instead of using the short originals is really crazy. I tried to create something like your 'curriel', czech translation of 'electronic mail' is 'elektronicka posta', but everything I came with (esta, elsta, posel etc.) sounded totally ridiculous   ;D

It's your way anyway, feel free to use any terms you like, I just had the need to express my opinions. Maybe this discussion should be moved to General/offtopic...

big_gie

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 08:26:34 PM »
@kubecj
Of course we are crazy :)

You must understand that here, in quebec, we are surrended by english. We also have a history based on english/french rivalty... That's why we work so hard to keep french, since it is our culture. Unlike Frenchs, we don't accept english words in our vocabulary.

I understand the "unatural" thing. But hey, wasn't "computer" an "unatrual" word when it once began? :) New words ARE unatural, but new words are proof of active culture. One langage just cant try not to evolve: it will die. Look at latin; best exemple.

If we don't make our own langage evolve, then we will all be english in the future. Of course I have nothing against english, and I think it is a great langage because of its simplicity and spreadness. But we must keep our "local" langage too :)

Words like "skins" seems weird when translated, and the first idea is just to use the original one. But for english speaking people, the word "skin" IS the "pink thing all around us" :)

Sorry but I really must go,

ciao

big_gie

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 08:48:48 PM »
Creating artificial words instead of using the short originals is really crazy.

Creating artificial words is crazy (or rather funny) - but if there exists a natural translation, having no "side effects" (i.e. really meaning the same, without possible misunderstandings), there is no reason for not using it. While the computer professionals have no problems understanding the English original (in fact, I often have big problems understanding the Czech translation), it may be much better for the "ordinary users".
Besides, there is a difference between spoken and written language. While in our "tech talk", we use "skenovat" (i.e. Czenglish for "scan") every day, it is a terrible word when written (close to "konfirmace" for "confirmations").

In my opinion, it would be nice to agree on "good" expressions - i.e. those that won't offend anyone. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to compete with famous poets' language... it just should be good. There is no need to start wars because of it  ;)

big_gie

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 11:20:51 PM »
exactly. The french version should be... in french :)

Rix

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »
Maybe I sould have started a new thread but...

Is anybody here using this beta, even without the French package, on a Win95 system ? Have some problems...

big_gie

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2004, 01:16:36 AM »
another typo...

Look on the screenshot. The second line of the bottom one should be: "Autre erreur HTTP (302), en esseyant"

Also, on the first screenshot, the sentence "Cliquez ici pour plus" doesn't end... Would it be because of big fonts?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 01:17:22 AM by big_gie »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2004, 12:27:14 PM »
Is anybody here using this beta, even without the French package, on a Win95 system ? Have some problems...

I just found the problem... I'll fix it. It concerns Win95 system only (not Win98 or ME).

Rix

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2004, 02:10:28 PM »

I just found the problem... I'll fix it. It concerns Win95 system only (not Win98 or ME).

Thank you Igor :)

/Pascal/

gtaillandier

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2004, 09:01:41 PM »
I use Windows XP Home edition.
I've downloaded the file and moved it to <avast> setup folder. After, I've invoqued update program : no problem, all files correctly downloaded.
Restart needed : OK.  
When I open Avast / language : French not proposed. I had to download it by choosing "download new languages" and check the boxes near "French".

After the download is completed, I can change the longuage without restarting the computer.

When I right click on the icon in the systray, it remains in French. Is there a little problem ?

Sincerely.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 09:03:16 PM by gtaillandier »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
Oops, that's how it should be I guess... What was I thinking about when I wrote the original post?  :-[
So, everybody found the right way in spite of my omission?

I have updated the description in the first post.

The language of the systray icon changes on system restart.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 09:55:59 PM by igor »

major Den

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
Hello,

another typo...

Look on the screenshot. The second line of the bottom one should be: "Autre erreur HTTP (302), en esseyant"

Err... I don't know what is written instead of your "en esseyant", but it should read "en essayant" (most probably translated from "while trying")

Another one, in an infected incoming mail body :

"Extension(s) suspecte des pièces jointes attachés"

should read

"Extension(s) suspecte(s) des pièces jointes"

"attachés", left aside the gender error, is unnecessary :

"attachées" and "jointes" are synonyms -> "joined" and "attached"

Den.