Author Topic: Web shield Exceptions and URL Blocking not working?  (Read 3868 times)

victor_cleto

Web shield Exceptions and URL Blocking not working?
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
I'm using the latest version of Avast 4.7 Home Edition (4.7.1098) with latest VPS file (080228-0) at the moment and, or I missed something or the URLs to exclude (under exceptions) and URL blocking do not work as expected ?
I thnink that the "allows" take priority over the "excludes", this is what I've done:

I've added *ass* in the URL blocking (enabled)
I've noticed that Avast is blocking the Windows update (that when starts uses ...Class=... as part of the URL)
So, I've added in the URLs to exclude http//www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/*

It still blocks the Windows update. The only way to get updates is to remove the *ass* from the blocking or to disable Avast.
Am I doing something wrong here or there is a bug with the priorities in the allows/excludes of Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web shield Exceptions and URL Blocking not working?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
I won't call it a bug, just a priority on contrary that you want.
Why do you need to exclude (forbid the access) the *ass* sites?
Parental control? I'd rather use www.k9webprotection.com ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
Personally I think you are using too small a string to be effective and not inadvertently block other URLs that might legitimately use/have ass in the URL string (as with the windows update).

So I would suggest increasing the URL blocking string or if as Tech thinks if it is for parental control, etc. use a program better suited to the task.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

victor_cleto

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies, yes, I am using the URL filtering for parental control.
I'll have a look at the suggestions, but it is annoying that the excludes and blocking do not work as expected.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies, yes, I am using the URL filtering for parental control.
I'll have a look at the suggestions, but it is annoying that the excludes and blocking do not work as expected.
avast is not intended for parental control. So... what can we do is to point you to the right way, a dedicated and safe parental control application. There are others, if you want to test, but I think K9 is free and the best available.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »
Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I don't know if what you put in the exclusions doesn't include the 'class' that would be the trigger I don't know if it would work in the way you expect as you have used wild cards in the URL blocking.

I think it is airing on the side of protection first, there is also another area you could try to put the windowsupdate.com (I'm not sure if that requires an IP rather than a URL or if it relates only to streaming media), in the Basic Tab of the web shield customize, ignored addresses and see if it works there, but I would look at parental control apps.

A parental control application would certainly be better and easier on the control side of things.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security