Author Topic: Infected  (Read 14636 times)

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
Infected
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:54:58 AM »
I am running an Avast scan and under current scanner status is says.... infected. What does that mean.. ??? :-[ am i in trouble yet again!
Thanks
Sasy

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
Re: Infected
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 05:37:11 AM »
This is what has come up on my avast scan
c:\documents and settings\hp-owner\desktop\internetgamebox
name:Win32:agent-ROU[trj]
c:\suspect\eighties classic[grandmas].wma
name:win32:wimAD-1[trj]
c:\suspect\rare recording.wma
name: Win32:wimAD-1[trj]
c:\suspect\wicked remix.wma
name: win32:wimAD-1[trj]
c:\systemvolume information\_restore{DDE3EB95-4B24-44D8-AD
win32:agent-ROU[trj]

In Addition to that there were im not sure even how many files that came back unable to scan!

Thanks Susie

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »
Hi. I have no idea what those files are, other than some type of media, songs perhaps. Check them at virutotal. Did you create the folder "suspect", when previously checking files?

Please submit these files for analysis

To submit a file to virustoal, please click on this link

www.virustotal.com

copy and paste the following into the upload a file box (one at a time if more than one file is listed)

c:\documents and settings\hp-owner\desktop\internetgamebox
c:\suspect\eighties classic[grandmas].wma
c:\suspect\rare recording.wma
c:\suspect\wicked remix.wma

scroll down a bit and click "send file", wait for the results and post then in your next reply.

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
I also ran an SAS scan but for some reason it didn't give me a log at the end to post here for you.  It found 2 trojans as well and it had many many files that it was unable to scan.
Susie

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Ok, test those files at virustotal amd then well have a peek inside.

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt  -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
"0 bytes size received / Se ha recibido un archivo vacio" is what visus total came up with..did i do something wrong.. I one by one droped it into the uplaod window and each file came up with that response!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
Ok, You did it right. I would say you have some bad guys. Go ahead with the DSS.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
I am running an Avast scan and under current scanner status is says.... infected. What does that mean.
<snip>

It just means the current status of that scan is infected as it detected malware (and you I assume dealt with it by sending it to the chest). If you restart the Simple User Interface again you won't see infected, it is just an indication that something was detected on that particular scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
I ran the DSS scan and will post the results... I thought you might like to know why i ran the avast scan to begin with.. yesterday when i had to restart my computer when it came back on it was on a diffenent login page than usually comes up when i start my computer and when i would double click on my internet exployer a different page came up there as well. I ran the avast scan and sent all 5 virus's to the chest.. when i restarted after that it was back to normal but has left me wondering ..so that is why im here.. and it worries me too when my avast and the SAS scan have several files its telling me it can't scan .. is that normal?  Well attach the DSS log here and get back here after i get home from work..
Many Thanks as always
Susie

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
It looks like whatever you had is gone. From your description it seems like it was a possible homepage hijacking. You can guard against this with SAS. Open SAS, click the prefence button, click the Hijack protection tab. Ensure your homepage is in the box and check both boxes.

Check the avast log for the reason why the files can't be scanned. You should be able to see the file name and path along with the reason. Avast can't scan other security program's quaratined files. That message will be "password protected"

Open avast, from the menu, select last scan results.

The same holds true for SAS, though I've never seen anything in the logs. It may appear on the screen during a scan but I've never whatched it scan.

So, if no problems, you can clean up and update.

* Please download
 OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer.

Open OTMOVEIT2 then click the Clean Up button. You may get prompted by your firewall that OTMoveIt wants to contact the internet -  allow this.  A cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will delete all the tools you have downloaded plus itself.

* Create a new restore point

You must be logged on to an administrator account
Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.
Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.
In the text box labeled Restore Point Description, type a name for this restore point , click create

* Remove old restore points

- Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - system tools. Launch the Disk Cleanup tool and let it run. When it finishes a box with tabs will appear, select the more options tab. On this tab you will find a section for System Restore. If you press the Clean Up button for that section, Windows will delete all restore points except for the most recent one.

* Open an Internet Explorer (only) window and go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp > Scroll down to "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5...allows end-users to run Java applications".

Click the download button on the right.

> If Information Bar pop-ups up, right-click on it and say it's OK to display the blocked content.

You do not have to install the Java Web Start ActiveX Control

Accept the license agreement > Click on Windows (XP,Vista, .etc) Offline Installation, Multi-language and Save the file jre-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe to your desktop; do not Run it. Do not install it yet.

When the download is complete, Open Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs:

Uninstall anything that says Sun Java, Java JRE, or similar.

Close Add/Remove Programs.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Java <=this folder, if found. Delete any subfolders it may contain.

Do NOT delete C:\Program Files\JavaVM <=this folder, if found!

Reboot your computer.

Double-click on the saved file to install the update.

Delete the downloaded installation file after completing the above procedure  and reboot if not prompted to do so.

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
Ok good idea about going into SAS to protect my homepage..because when i just now went into do it and My home page was changed again! Same as yesterday.. but now i did the steps you told me to do in SAS preferences and its back to the one i normally use.
Now to do the rest of what you told me to do..
Thanks so much Oldman!
Sasy

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
ugh this is so crazy.. I did go to SAS and followed your directions this what they had as my home page, http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome, which is the one i have used forever...and that is the one that would come up each and every time i clicked on my Interet Explorer on my desktop.. I did make sure it was the right page and then i made sure both boxes were checked...i tested it and sure enough when i clicked the Intenet Explorer that page came up.. No i just went back to open a page.. and its back to the page i have never used.. it keeps taking me to this page http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=10&ct=1204752545&rver=4.5.2130.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fmail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx&id=64855
Its confusing me and not sure why that would be happening if i didn't ahve something going on with my computer... let me know what your thoughts are on that.. Ill wait to clean things up til i hear back.
Thanks
Susie

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
Hi sasysusie,

Probably it is a Windows Media Video file that explores Windows vulnerabilities inside IE.

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/trojwimada.html
http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/trojwimadb.html

Look in C:documents and settings/shared

polonus
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:40:54 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline sasysusie

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
ok ill try to check that out.. if i can understand all that i really need to be way more computer literate that would help im sure!! Sometimes it opens to the right window and sometimes it does not.  Thank you for the tip.
Sasy

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:40 AM »
I'm not saying you aren't having problems, but I don't see anything in the logs.

If you didn't create the folder c:\suspect , then something else did.

So we'll have a peek inside.

Copy and paste the following text into a new notepad

Dir c:\suspect >> ndis.txt
Start ndis.txt

Click file, click save as. Set it to save in Desktop. Name the file (including the  " " marks) "seek.bat"

Click save.

You should now have a icon like the image below. Double click it and post the contents of the notepad that will pop up.

Also check in comodo and see if something out of the usual is connecting.

Pol, you see anything in the DSS log?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:29:40 AM by oldman »