Author Topic: Should I disable these Avast providers  (Read 3050 times)

Splinter hell

Should I disable these Avast providers
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:50:17 AM »
I view mail using the internet, so the internet mail provider is not needed. So can I disable it or keep it enabled for some reason ?

The network shield doesn't seem to scan anything and it has limited configurations. So can I also disable since I have a good firewall(Comodo v3) or keep it enabled for some reason?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Should I disable these Avast providers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:54:55 AM »
Internet mail provider can give early warning of a spambot sending out mail from your computer.

Networkshield protects against certain worms that attack a specific port.

Whether you need them, I'll leave that advice to others.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:47:22 AM »

For the reasons oldman stated, I have both of those providers active even though I also use web based email only. If you search the forum, you will find that there have been those that were alerted my the email provider that unknown email was being sent from there computers. Otherwise, you may only find out when your ISP tells you that you are sending out too much email, that you may be a spammer, and that you may loose the use of your connection through them. After all, they use very little resources.

Splinter hell

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »

For the reasons oldman stated, I have both of those providers active even though I also use web based email only. If you search the forum, you will find that there have been those that were alerted my the email provider that unknown email was being sent from there computers. Otherwise, you may only find out when your ISP tells you that you are sending out too much email, that you may be a spammer, and that you may loose the use of your connection through them. After all, they use very little resources.

I decided to keep the Internet mail provider on with the heuristics set to high. But the network shield doesn't seem to scan anything and is there a way to customise so it can scan the ports for attacks. Also do other antivirus providers have the network shield and can the standard shield detect these worms also.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
But the network shield doesn't seem to scan anything and is there a way to customise so it can scan the ports for attacks.
If you're using a firewall and your operational system is updated, most probably there is no room for NetShield. But why worry? If it's there, it won't take resources.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
As oldman said the Internet Mail provider can provide early indication of an undetected spambot, however for that to happen you should set the Internet Mail sensitivity to High.

So I too would say leave The Internet Mail provider enabled but set it to High.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security