Author Topic: Is there a user guide for Avast?  (Read 3678 times)

Lori53

Is there a user guide for Avast?
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:12:10 AM »

???
Hi, I'm Lori and my computer is in dire straits!

I'm sorry if I am doing this incorrectly, but I have just registered and do not know how to even navigate this forum yet.
If I read everything first I will not be able to fix my computer for weeks. It has already been out of commission for a week. I installed Avast just 2 days ago. I have run it several times and each time it picks up hundreds of issues. I just did a boot run (?) and again got hundreds. I set it up to send every problem to the virus chest. At one point I saw messages coming up so quickly that it was hard to make them out, but the one that showed up on each issue was something like "the operation failed because the disk is full." I am so lost and do not even know where to go at this point.

Hence my subject line, Is there a user guide for Avast that I can access??

Thanks!  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is there a user guide for Avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »
Maybe you should open avast Chest and delete some files inside it. There is a 256Mb limit.
Other possibility will be posting the full file name and path... seems a big file is being detected as infected.

I also suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Lori53

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:29:33 AM »
Thank you so much! I will do as you have suggested.     :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 11:57:52 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:09:36 AM »

Lori53 -

Please do not delete the files in the section titled "System files." These are safe backup files that the avast program put there.

Welcome to the forums.    :)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:17 AM »
Hence my subject line, Is there a user guide for Avast that I can access??

Lori53 a very good help file can be found here:

Start/Programs/Avast Anti-Virus/?Help
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!