Author Topic: NEWBIE CAN'T ACCESS SCAN RESULTS  (Read 3741 times)

lenharley

NEWBIE CAN'T ACCESS SCAN RESULTS
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:19:52 AM »
Hi,

I have recently downloaded Avast 4 Home. I am generally very pleased but there is one snag that is not dealt with in "Help".

When I did a scan(thorough) the "Results" were a list of files that could not be scanned!
(a)What does this mean?
(b)When I tried to delete or scan one of these files the program froze and I had to ctl,alt.del to escape.
(c)When I try to find this list again in "Scan results" this button is grey and inactive! How do you make "scan results" active?

I have tried twice and the same thing happens.

Can anyone help please? (in simple language?)

Len
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 11:22:28 AM by lenharley »

shgoh

Re:NEWBIE CAN'T ACCESS SCAN RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:29:46 AM »
these files are most likely to be password-protected archives...take a look at these links..

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3291
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3042

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:37:03 AM »
i think the scan results option is for the pro version only... :)

however you can create a report file...

avast! can create and save a report file containing information about a past session. Basically, it contains the same information as in session results.

Create report file. Checking this option turns on the report file creation.
Report File Folder. Enter the path and name of the report file, e.g. C:\Reports\task_name.rpt. The folder selection can be carried out by pressing the Browse button. The default report file name is the name of the corresponding task.
Log Record For. Check the items that should be written to the report. Task start writes date and time of the task start to the report; similarly, task stop writes date and time of task stop. The description of the remaining items hard errors, soft errors, skipped files, infected files, and OK files is on the results page.
Type of file. Select the format of the report file. You can choose either a simple text file, or the newer XML format.
Note: The default report file name is task_name.rpt. The *.rpt file is actually a simple text file, so it is possible to view and modify e.g. in Notepad.

lenharley

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 08:56:45 PM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice. I looked at the links, but, I must confess, I'm still at a loss what to actually do?

"Support@ Avast" said that for the "scan results" button to be active I must "let the scan finish" .... I did.
But they are STILL inactive, and there is this list of unscannable files. The moment I try to "do" anything with these items e.g "scan" or "delete" the program freezes. Escape means loss of the list and I'm back to square 1.!!!!!!!!!

Does this list mean the scan has finished? If so shouldn't the scan results button active?
Currently I have tried several scans. I have had lists of unscannable files (that freeze if touched). I have NO scan results that I can access.

What should I actually do????????????

Len

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:11:06 AM »
The list of unscannable files and scan results is the SAME THING in your case.

It's quite normal that some of the files cannot be scanned. Can you post a screenshot of the results window (= the list of unscannable files, as you put it)? We can take a look at what the files are about...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.