Author Topic: Copy New 400.vps over existing, will this update definitions  (Read 7421 times)

NewTwoAvast

Copy New 400.vps over existing, will this update definitions
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »
 :)If I copy the new 400.vps file over the exisisting /var/lib/avast4/400.vps file will this truly update the virus definition files?

A million thanks John

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Copy New 400.vps over existing, will this update definitions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »
As far I know, it works for Linux off-line update.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Copy New 400.vps over existing, will this update definitions
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »
:)If I copy the new 400.vps file over the exisisting /var/lib/avast4/400.vps file will this truly update the virus definition files?

A million thanks John

The copying itself is, in general, not enough - the definitions must be also loaded (running engines must be told that reloading should be performed). That's what that avastvpsreload utility does (technically speaking, 'N' semaphore over 400.vps is removed). Other way how to load them is to quit all avast apps that are running under particular user, and re-starting them. Also, one might issue avworkClose(0) (synchronous invocation, used internally).

otherwise, there's a shared runtime block with definition (which is kept in memory until there's no client that's attached to it), and this is used preferably instead of the contents from 400.vps file. that's why pure copying isn't usually enough.

pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)