Author Topic: Avast frauds  (Read 11744 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Avast frauds
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:21 PM »
Golden rule in forums: - help us to help you!

No one can possibly know what kind of system/BIOS he has on his end. That's why people asked him about the status of his system clock so they can find out some more info.

I have to admit that it sounds so strange that your CMOS battery is dead and your clock is working fine. I have never heard that before. The only thing that powers your system clock is exactly the CMOS battery. That's why we have them, to keep those settings in, even when your computer is turned off for longer period of time. Even if your system "resets itself" at start-up, what happens after your computer is turned off for longer period of time ? There is absolutely nothing to power your system clock and keep it accurate.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
rdmaloyjr

That's kind of interesting. Are you using any type of time sync program?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Batteries go flat plain and simple just like a glass of beer. I normally drink my flat beer coz, coz well coz  I like my beer.
but heck even I knew when it was time to replace my CMOS battery. I threw my beer clock out of kilter  ;)
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong.  Because the BIOS wont hold a password after shutdown, I thought it was because the CMOS battery was "flat".   I figured the clock reset itself from a signal from the internet or my ISP.  My emachines desktop is always plugged in (but not always on) & my ISP is "always on" cable internet.

I'm not using any time-sync program that I know.  I do use alfaclock.

av-outsource

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
Thanks for trying to help this customer and agreeing on the diagnosis, we do provide support for single users via email and since i use a Blackberry if he had emailed me in India he would have got an instant response. Telephone support isn't cheap from the otherside of the world :-)

Anyway issue is closed now. Thanks again!

av-outsource

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
Hi rdmaloyjr

I took a quick peek at alfaclock, It does seem to syncronize with an atomic clock server. So you are probably right, the battery is dead. I would expect any tweaks to the bios, besides a password, would also revert to default.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 07:10:02 PM »
I took a quick peek at alfaclock, It does seem to syncronize with an atomic clock server.
It does not work (synchronize) on Vista as user should be asked by UAC to update the clock and he/she isn't.
The best things in life are free.