Author Topic: Avast Pro Script Blocker  (Read 2326 times)

Avastfan1

Avast Pro Script Blocker
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
Dear Forum Gurus,

My question is whether Avast Pro's Script Blocker is functioning correctly on my computer?

I use Firefox however I never see the 'Avast Script Blocker' splash screen when it loads. When I unfortunately have to use Shiternet Explorer to run Windows Update the splash screen appears.

I never want to use Shiternet Explorer, but Windows Update doesn't function without it.

Does this mean script blocker is still running when browsing with Firefox and it has not detected any malicious scripts to date? (I've never had a warning or message from script blocker).

Yet under 'items scanned and infected count' it always has 0 regardless of how long I browse for with Firefox.

In the Avast On-Access Protection Control, the script blocking module is 'running', all browsers are marked (IE, Netscape & Firefox) under protected programs and 'show splash screen' and 'show detailed info on performed action' are both marked under advanced.

Note: 'silent mode' is NOT marked under the advanced tab.

Also, I run the 'NoScript' plugin for Firefox (version 1.4.9.5)

- Windows XP SP2 fully patched
- Avast Pro 4.7.1098 - fully updated
- Firefox 2.0.0.12
- ZA Pro 7.0.462.000 - fully updated

Many thanks and Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:49:36 AM by Avastfan1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Pro Script Blocker
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »
avast Script Blocking does not work with Firefox.
There were programmers' explanations on forum, although, right now I'm not finding them.
NoScript will block the scripts on Firefox, although avast is only using WebShield to scan the http traffic.
The best things in life are free.

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Hi Tech,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

It was my suspicion that Avast's Script Blocking module wasn't compatible with Firefox.

Can any Forum Guru or Avast Employee advise why it isn't compatible?

With Firefox's growing number of users, surely the number of Shiternet Explorer's users will slowly decline?

If you do manage to find the links to the programmers' notes that would be great! Otherwise I'll keep hunting myself :-)

Thanks again!!

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
It was my suspicion that Avast's Script Blocking module wasn't compatible with Firefox.
Can any Forum Guru or Avast Employee advise why it isn't compatible?
I've found: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14879.msg125840#msg125840
The best things in life are free.