Author Topic: avast for DOS  (Read 14699 times)

Max M.Wachtel III

avast for DOS
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:27:02 PM »
Hello everyone!
First of all I wanted to say that avast is one of the best AV products around.I have used AVG,Norton,McAfee before and didn't like the way they took over my machine!Had nothing but problems with McAfee and Norton.AVG was ok but no real time e-mail scanning like avast.
I installed avast for DOS last night because I wanted a scan to run at boot-up which I couldn't figure out how to make avast for home do!After installing and runing it,I had a "real-mode"issue which I resolved by removing
C:\AVAST!\RGUARD /3 /B-/E-   and
set PATH=C\AVAST!;%PATH% from autoexec.bat

I am running 98se on this computer and I wanted to know if it will run on XP and or ME because my wife's 'puter is XP and my son's is ME
Also I was unable to create the disk in avast for dos because the virus data base is too large to fit on a floppy. Any ideas?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:avast for DOS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 07:56:31 PM »
Hi,

I'll leave it to the experts to give you a "proper" answer with regard to Avast -- but keep in mind that under XP, DOS is almost non-existent.

A boot-time scan is simple enough even with the "standard" Avast (I use 4-Home).  If you open the interface and then its menu, you'll find it about halfway down.  "Scheduling" is a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion, since it sets you up for a one-time full scan the next time you reboot, which of course you can probably do right away.  In the home version, at least, you'll have to do this again each time you want a fresh boot-scan.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 08:01:14 PM »

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:23:58 PM »
I don't have a"scheduling" anything in the menu - when I click on enhanced, I notice that boot is only available for NT, 2000 and XP and I am using 98se. I know I am using latest build 4.1.357 and latest vps 0403-14. Am I missing something?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:38:36 PM »
Ok, sorry, guess I misinterpreted you -- I assumed your two questions were related.  Yes, Avast will run quite nicely on XP -- and there are some features (I guess the boot-scan ability is one) which won't work under 98 but will work under later Win versions.

Better?  ;)
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 11:51:47 PM »
Thanks mike-
If I can get  my wife off her 'puter for a min. I'll see if it has a different menu than mine - by the way, I see that you don't use a firewall? Do you use a gateway or router?
-max

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 02:36:06 AM »
Hi again, max - nope, just my ISP's standard settings.  I did try ZoneAlarm for all of one evening, but took it back out ...  even with Internet setting reduced from high to medium, I was getting several warnings a minute which both my excellent ISP and ZoneLabs themselves agree is just internet "noise", and which was a royal pain.

Its handling of programs seeking access to the net is fine because it identifies such requests (and the programs) as you go along, and remembers your settings for them, so things like auto-updates can work fine.  Too bad incoming stuff couldn't be handled on-the-fly in the same manner -- having to "catalog" and pre-set approved channels and addresses is a pain too.

I'll be interested to see the new firewall in MS's XP Sp2 this summer -- the word I'm hearing is that it's a lot more user-friendly than anything else in its field so far.

Best,
Mike

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 04:00:51 AM »
I installed avast for DOS last night because I wanted a scan to run at boot-up which I couldn't figure out how to make avast for home do!After installing and runing it,I had a "real-mode"issue which I resolved by removing
C:\AVAST!\RGUARD /3 /B-/E-   and
set PATH=C\AVAST!;%PATH% from autoexec.bat

I am running 98se on this computer and I wanted to know if it will run on XP and or ME because my wife's 'puter is XP and my son's is ME
Also I was unable to create the disk in avast for dos because the virus data base is too large to fit on a floppy. Any ideas?

If you have a NTFS system file in the XP (not FAT32) and don't have a specific driver for reading/writing over NTFS, DOS scanning won't be performed as DOS does not reach the NTFS partition.

You can use BART CD from Alwil or other av for DOS (like F-Prot or BitDefender).

If you have a Windows 98 (and so the FAT32 system) you can use avast! for DOS from the HDD.

Boot-time scanning is a XP feature (that allows API functions needed for the scanning before boot)  8)
The best things in life are free.

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 08:24:45 PM »
Have you tried Sygate? I use it on all my machines and have had no problems at all-used zone before and like sygate better.I use it in conjunction with XP's firewall because I use ICS on the XP. I made a simple home network with a hub using the XP as a NAT router so I can share all my printers/scanner/documents in the house. I use a cable modem that pretty much has the same IP address all the time so I MUST use a firewall all the time!
-max

martian13

Re: avast for DOS
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
how can i scan my computer in DOS?
im using xp

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
Hi Max,

Avast also runs nicely on ME. My wife used it there for ten years with no hick-up.
Now she is going to change to Vista.
But if you have a floppy drive on your 'puter, you can run FProt for DOS, and I am also still charmed by the FProt scanner, there is even an automated updater for it, and it is my DOS scanner of choice, fits nice on one floppy or can been taken into your pocket on a USB stick.
http://f-prot.apposite.com.hk/product/corporate_users/dos/index.htm
It is free for personal use, just like avast is, and non-resident so it can go alongside avast nicely.
The free updater from here:
http://www.scanwith.com/AV_Defs_Updater_for_FPROT_for_DOS_download.htm

Have a peaceful weekend Max,

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
how can i scan my computer in DOS?
im using xp
Schedule a boot time scanning with avast.
The best things in life are free.