Author Topic: Amount of protection on pc  (Read 14515 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Amount of protection on pc
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
Hi lee19,

Spywareblaster is a nice program, for protection, but pay attention to  TeaTimer whenever your computer might get infected, it can also put back the baddies for ye. Remember that the best anti-spyware scanner sits in between the ears: and is called P.I.C.N.I.C. (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

polonus

P.S. click the picture for animation
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:36:53 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Go Pack Go

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
Hi lee19,

Spywareblaster is a nice program, for protection, but pay attention to it's TeaTimer

SpywareBlaster doesn't have TeaTimer, Spybot Search & Destroy does.

lee16

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 09:33:01 PM »
P.I.C.N.I.C. (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

hahah, this i liked xD

Also, although i doubt i my will get infected anytime soon (if ever) i would love to hear how it can put "baddies back on" if you don't mind sharing this inof with me xD

------

TeaTimer, Spybot Search & Destroy does.

Ahh if you meant teatimer from spybot, then yes i can see how that would replace the "baddies" again if it became compromised.

--lee

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 08:05:15 PM »
 :) :) :)
Thanks everyone for your input, i took spyware detector off, after doing a search by Spybot, it showed spyware detector as a problem, so i let spybot get rid!
PC starts quicker now, so thats good, and by what i see from the messages, i seem to have enough protection with the present programmes.
I will have a look at the other suggested programmes as back up scans, but feel a lot more comfortable after reading the replies!!
Could someone, though, just put my mind to rest about enabling Spybot search and destroy Tea Timer, wether to have it on or not?
Should i switch it on or leave it off, and what are the benifits off both choices??
Thanks again all. :D :D
JPS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
Could someone, though, just put my mind to rest about enabling Spybot search and destroy Tea Timer, wether to have it on or not?
If you know how to use it, when allow a program and when forbid it, it won't harm. It's another protection layer imho.
The best things in life are free.

Lusher

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
:) :) :)
Hello.
I have just had a clean bill of health after being infected with a Trojan, thanks to oldman.
My question is, I am presently running Spyware detector, Spyware Doctor, Avast Home Edition, I have windows firewall and Zone Alarm Firewall because I had no outgoing protection, and am running windows clean, a programme suggested by oldman, thanks again!!!!
Oh yes and Spybot search and destroy, but to honest I turned the Tea timer off because of all the info I was getting and I think it might have removed  the ability to run my printer cause that stopped one day after running with that, I did manage to get the printer back by doing a system restore. I can put up with the 10 minute start up, yes 10 minutes, if it means I am safe, or am i just being TOO cautious!!!
Your advice would be appreciated.
 Sparks

You know what? The others will try to confuse you by telling you their fanboyish opinions about their favourite antivirus, antispyware, hips, ips, firewall whatever

But the key to being safe, besides be careful with downloads is to ensure as much as possible on your system is fully patched.

And I don't just mean windows.. I mean your browser, Java, realplayer, quicktime, flash, etc etc

But there are so many patches out there and who has time to keep up? Worse yet, many of the autoupdates don't work well! The solution is either

http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

or

https://psi.secunia.com/

They will tell you what is unpatched. And how to patch them...

This alone will secure your computer more than using any piece of security software....

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
You know what? The others will try to confuse you by telling you their fanboyish opinions about their favourite antivirus, antispyware, hips, ips, firewall whatever

The one-and-only Lusher hath spoken!

All kneel! All kneel!

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 03:16:59 PM »
The one-and-only FreewheelinFrank hath posted his reply.....
And here we go again with another thread headed for the garbage heap..... :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

lee16

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Now now guys, lets not fight (i love you all  ;))

Although lusher does have a point, its not all about on-demand scanners and Resident Protection software, prevention is in the end the best combatant, patching a system is vital, alot of people don't release how insecure old media players/archive unpackers/java/adobe products/browsers etc really are, keeping them up to date is very important.

The only exception is realplayer, this program is insecure no matter how upto date it is (seriously, block this intrusive media player with your firewall), only good for the realmedia codecs.

-------------------------------

Also when it does come to scanners, everyone has their preference, its called human nature (ironically human nature is what gets us into most problems in life ;D)

tanya

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »
Software is good, also keep in mind to set up the OS good. Here is some hints that can be useful :)
http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
 :D :D
Thanks to everyone for your input.
Its good to see that you all get on so well??!! ;)
I agree that the biggest problem with the PC IS sat in front of it!!
But I AM trying.
I have taken on board all your comments and will look to all the information that is given. Honest!!
I do feel a little more comfortable now with the systems I have in place, oh and I have run the system check on patches, as suggested by lusher, only showed 2 out of date items which will be easily updated, Ta very much!!
Keep up the good work, maybe catch up with you with another question soon!!
Many thanks again.
JPS

Lusher

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
check on patches, as suggested by lusher, only showed 2 out of date items which will be easily updated,

Just for the sake of curiousity what were the two? You do know that even one is sufficient for you to get nailed?

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
 :) :)
Hi lusher.
The 2 programmes were Abode Reader 6x and Quick Time 6x.
Do you think I should use the wizard to patch these 2 items or do a direct download link, there seems to be a lot of data with both, or is that normal??
Thanks again.
JPS.

Lusher

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »
Hi lusher.
Do you think I should use the wizard to patch these 2 items or do a direct download link, there seems to be a lot of data with both, or is that normal??
Thanks again.
JPS.

If you don't use them, uninstall them!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
Hi lusher.
Thanks again.
JPS.

If you don't use them, uninstall them!

Both are very old so make sure you get the latest versions if they are something you use often.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay