Author Topic: Continuous Warnings-Home Edition  (Read 7066 times)

bobbydee

Continuous Warnings-Home Edition
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
I've had avast for a few years with no problems, however , I've now been getting a siren with a caution that a virus has been detected. Recomended action- move to chest. No problem except that I am getting these warnings every few minutes or so for the past 2 days.
What's going on and is there anything I can do about this?

CharleyO

Re: Continuous Warnings-Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »

Welcome to the forums,  bobbydee.    :)

Please download HijackThis from the link below, run the program but do not make any fixes, and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box. Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

bobbydee

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
Thanks CharleyO but please forgive my ignorance on this matter but I do not quite understand the procedure. I'm afraid of starting the process and then getting confused and mess everything up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
HiJackThis, is an analysis tool and simply running it won't do anything other than generate a report (log file), which will give us information on what is running on your system. It is the contents of this log file we want you to copy and paste here.

You won't be asked to take any action before being told what to do and if you still have questions just ask before attempting something you are unsure of.

HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:23 PM »
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. As suggested before, make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

bobbydee

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
The log was too large to post, so can you please tell me how to send an attachment.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
You can split the log over more than one post or click the Additional Options, Browse to the log files location on your system and open, see image.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:06:21 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »

In my post above, I stated how to do it ......

then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box.

Thanks for posting the picture help, David.    :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:20:48 AM by CharleyO »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
bobbydee, did you happen to notice the name and path of this detection? If you spot it happening again take a screenshot of the detection (or write it all down) and post it.
This is not to counter the advice given above; scanning logs are a very good move, just in case.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bobbydee

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
Tarq57
Is this what you want?
File Name:\DOCUME 1\ROBERT 1\LOCALS 1|Temp\6E.IMP
Malware Name: WIN32:SdBot-5202 (Wm)
Malware Type: Virus/Worm
VPS Version: 080313.0  03/13/2008
BTW, I can't find the MENU on Avast Home 4.7 if I need to schedule a boot-time scan. I kinda feel lost with all of this.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:33 PM »
Schedule Boot-Time Scan with avast! Click on the little button placed up in the left  corner, and select Schedule Boot-Time Scan. Read also this tutorial HERE it may make it easier to you to follow the steps.

Next, choose
  • Scan all local disks   
  • scan archive files
  • click on Schedule
On the next dialog Operating system restart needed select Yes
Now avast! will restart your computer and start to scan before Windows fully loads.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 01:50:10 AM »
Tarq57
Is this what you want?
File Name:\DOCUME 1\ROBERT 1\LOCALS 1|Temp\6E.IMP
Malware Name: WIN32:SdBot-5202 (Wm)
Malware Type: Virus/Worm
VPS Version: 080313.0  03/13/2008
Yep, although I think it's possible the last few letters may be Temp\IE6.IMP, which would make it a temporary internet file. There's not much around about this, but from what there is, you would probably need to do a boot scan to remove it, or use some kind of unlocking program. It may try and re-create itself, too, but that bridge can be crossed if need be.
BTW, I can't find the MENU on Avast Home 4.7 if I need to schedule a boot-time scan. I kinda feel lost with all of this.
To find it  right click on the tray icon (down the bottom right of the screen) and select "start avast antivirus", it will take a few seconds to start, then the menu button  (as essexboy says) is near the top left. "Schedule boot time scan'' is about halfway down.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bobbydee

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 02:35:20 AM »
Thanks to all of you especially in dealing with a novice. Your help so far has been greatly appreciated, although I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »

, although I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet.

Check your other thread.