Author Topic: No AVG 8 free edition?  (Read 21925 times)

Go Pack Go

Re: No AVG 8 free edition?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
For sure, I won't be round... I'm here because avast is a freeware...

johnny223

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
avg free or not, im sticking with Avast ;D

ght1

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
I'm here because avast is a freeware...

Me 2  :)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 02:52:33 AM »
For sure, I won't be round... I'm here because avast is a freeware...
Without competition, we may loose all "free" antivirus services.

With the introduction of AVG 8 Free, Avast will be the only free anti-malware that works on Windows OSs earlier than 2000/XP, and it's already the only one that reliably scans IMAP email. I know it goes against-the-grain for many long-standing freeware users (me included) but the best strategy to keep Avast Home free might be to pay for it!  :o   (25% off this month!)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
Why pay for Home version when its free? Or did you mean Pro version.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Why pay for Home version when its free? Or did you mean Pro version.

Yes! The best strategy to keep Avast Home free might be to pay for the Pro version. (That makes more sense.)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Rafel

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
I think AVAST Home is for children with their own PC's, students or people use only PC time to time. If you aren't a child, you aren't student and you have got a job, maybe you can purchase AVAST! Pro

justin1278

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
For those who don't know, I'm a student. However whenever I get some money I can spend I use it on something I want, which includes avast! Pro. I've purchased avast! Pro in the past and plan to in the near future again.

Rafel

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »
Ok, but not all students have got money  ;).
When i was student, i was very very poor. And when i had money, iowned books and more books. Life of students. If your parents can't pay your studies, you need to work to do it. And when i had a bit of free time and a bit of money, "fiestaaaaaaaaa".
I had my first PC when i was 23, and when i owned it was uotdated,hahaha.
Now i'm teacher and i have got no money ,hahahaha.
Always a lot of bills.

ght1

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
I never cared much about AVG...

But: AVG is much lighter on memory than avast, maybe because AVG only has a standard shield  :)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
Personally i don't care how light AVG Free is, detection rate is much more important. And on that front AVG Free sux ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
I never cared much about AVG...

But: AVG is much lighter on memory than avast, maybe because AVG only has a standard shield  :)

It isn't, it just appears that way. It runs some of its services as kernel level so they don't show up as AVG, in normal resource monitoring. This was mentioned previously by one of the Alwil team Vlk or Igor I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 09:11:45 PM »
Read this thread for more info ...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30271.0

ght1

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
The advantage is that it makes the filesystem scanner (that needs to run in kernel-mode anyway) slightly faster (avoiding the need of transitions between kernel- and user- mode).

Maybe that's the reason why it is running fine on my old laptop  :-X

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
The advantage is that it makes the filesystem scanner (that needs to run in kernel-mode anyway) slightly faster (avoiding the need of transitions between kernel- and user- mode).

Maybe that's the reason why it is running fine on my old laptop  :-X

I don't wish to rain on the parade but there are also disadvantages which Vlk also mentioned.

Quote from: Vlk
The disadvatange is that any error in the engine usually means instant computer crash (or instant reboot).
Also, porting most stuff to kernel-mode is quite hard - so e.g. unpacking support is harder to implement in this case (especially if you want/need to use 3rd party code). That's one of the reasons you cannot enable archive unpacking in AVG's on-access scanner, by the way... Wink

Also, it's worth noting that this model had been used by Norton and McAfee (roughly till their 2004 versions). It was abandoned then - I suppose they figured out that the drawbacks simply outweighted the benefits.

So whilst it hides some resources, giving the illusion that it is much lighter in resources, but it's just an illusion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security