Author Topic: No AVG 8 free edition?  (Read 21981 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: No AVG 8 free edition?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:33 AM »

Quote from: Vlk
The disadvatange is that any error in the engine usually means instant computer crash (or instant reboot).
Also, porting most stuff to kernel-mode is quite hard - so e.g. unpacking support is harder to implement in this case (especially if you want/need to use 3rd party code). That's one of the reasons you cannot enable archive unpacking in AVG's on-access scanner, by the way... Wink

Also, it's worth noting that this model had been used by Norton and McAfee (roughly till their 2004 versions). It was abandoned then - I suppose they figured out that the drawbacks simply outweighted the benefits.

From my (attached) observations only, it seems that with version 8.0, AVG have abandoned in-kernel model (though still no "Scan inside archives" option for "Resident Shield"). On sample PC, default AVG 8.0 install adds about 35 physical and 65 virtual to memory use. AVG 8.0 Free should be lower as it will have fewer features.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
This should be a very simple choice:
If you think AVG is as good as avast! and uses fewer resources,
then uninstall avast! and use AVG.
My personal choice is simple. AVG isn't even in the running and
I'll continue to use avast!  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »
I'm an ex-AVG user... I can't compare it with avast: number of updates, servers available, GUI, features, configurability, etc. etc. Why downgrade? ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
This should be a very simple choice:
If you think AVG is as good as avast! and uses fewer resources,
then uninstall avast! and use AVG.

Very sound advice Bob... so I'm stickng with avast! like you and Tech.
One of my clients has AVG Pro licenses and I've just upgraded them from 7.5 to 8.0, which afforded the opportunity for a bit of a poke around. The AVG 8.0 download is 60MB :o ...obviously dial-up users need not apply.  ;D

ght1

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
I'm an ex-AVG user... I can't compare it with avast: number of updates, servers available, GUI, features, configurability, etc.

Me 2. But AVG update once a day is similar to avast, and i never had problems with the servers. The reason why I changed to avast were the spyware signatures. And yes, webshield is also a good feature. But let's have a look at AVG 8 which also includes a spyware modul.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »
avast has no comparison/similarity at all to AVG's once a day update, avast in the past has had as many as 4-5 VPS updates in a day.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
i never had problems with the servers.
Lucky you... I had tons...

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »
Dependant on the price - but I am sure that the forum will be well supported
For sure, I won't be round... I'm here because avast is a freeware...

I never cared much about AVG...
I don't either but it's good to have "free" competition around.
It keeps all vendor on their toes.  ;D

Without competition, we may loose all "free" antivirus services.
A free version of avast! keeps a highly active support forum with great support and more users to report bugs fp's & more to try betas.

Why pay for Home version when its free? Or did you mean Pro version.

Yes! The best strategy to keep Avast Home free might be to pay for the Pro version. (That makes more sense.)
People are more likely to brag on a great free AV than a paid version.  At least one person that I recommended avast! to bought the Pro version.  He came up to me after trying the free Home Edition & said it is awesome.  He was using Kaspersky, avast! found & removed stuff that KAV couldn't find.  He bought the Pro because he liked the layour better than in the Home Edition.

Us avast! Home Edition users do earn our keep.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
I'm an ex-AVG user... I can't compare it with avast: number of updates, servers available, GUI, features, configurability, etc. etc. Why downgrade? ;D

Not to mention that if you need help, their forums REALLY suck wind.

BTW, any one else having problems with these forums dropping out from time to time?
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 06:33:08 AM »
Why pay for Home version when its free? Or did you mean Pro version.

Yes! The best strategy to keep Avast Home free might be to pay for the Pro version. (That makes more sense.)

People are more likely to brag on a great free AV than a paid version.  At least one person that I recommended avast! to bought the Pro version.  He came up to me after trying the free Home Edition & said it is awesome.  He was using Kaspersky, avast! found & removed stuff that KAV couldn't find.  He bought the Pro because he liked the layour better than in the Home Edition.

Us avast! Home Edition users do earn our keep.

rdmaloyjr

I didn't mean to imply that any avast! Home, non-commercial users (especially forum contributors) should be motitvated to buy Pro by guilt or feeling of obligation. :o

It just seems to me that if more people who can pay, do pay, the more likely it is that Alwil will continue to be able to provide such a comprehensive AV for free.
Also, would you say that the guy who ended up buying 'Pro' after trying 'Home', decided to feed the hand that bites! ...the malware that is.  ;D

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2008, 09:20:36 AM »
I am waiting for avast! v5, if i really like it and alwil offers a good price for a 2yr license i will be buying the pro version FOR SURE.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 12:25:33 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that any avast! Home, non-commercial users (especially forum contributors) should be motitvated to buy Pro by guilt or feeling of obligation. :o

Who is implying avast! Home, non-commercial users (especially forum contributors) should be motitvated to buy Pro by guilt or feeling of obligation ???

I was only joining the chorus singing it's a good idea to have a free version of avast! anti-virus! 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 03:49:06 AM »
Back to the topic, won't AVG 8 have a free version after all?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Back to the topic, won't AVG 8 have a free version after all?
No doubt AVG 8.0 Free will replace 7.5 sometime this year. The question is, what will be left in it?

Speculation only:
Firewall & System Tools will be left out. Web Shield & LinkScanner - I'm not sure. They may be hard to drop because they've welded them to the Yahoo toolbar. Now that AVG are "promoting" the free version as "Basic protection only", probably Anti-Spyware, Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Spam/Phishing will be left out as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 01:17:10 AM »
Does anybody knows what will happen?
Will avast and Avira the only ones that will be given for free? (I forgot ClamWin...).