Author Topic: google-analytics  (Read 4677 times)

wsx123

google-analytics
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:00:48 AM »
When I am trying to load this webpage why am I getting "transferring data from GOOGLE-ANALYTICS"??

rassel

Re: google-analytics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:01:12 AM »
Can you please post the problem with the picture when it "transferring data from GOOGLE-ANALYTICS". You can do it by pressing the Print Screen button.

wsx123

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:19:21 AM »
Go into the "beta " forum and I posted a "slow page load" message that has a screenshot. In the bottom left corner it shows "google-analytics"
thanks

rassel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:20:47 AM »
your welcome

wsx123

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:33:22 AM »
The pages are loading faster now but the GOOGLE-ANALYTICS is still in the mix. What's up with that? Google is purchasing Doubleclick as approved in europe so I'm concerned.
The screen capture showing the transfer is attached below.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:06:41 AM by wsx123 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:41:53 AM »
The page source of the avast page shows that avast is a customer of Google-analytics. 

The page calls a javascript of Google's that records information about the access to the avast site and produces consolidated reports for avast about the use of their website.  This is probably a lot easier for avast than running similar software on every one of their servers and consolidating all the information themselves. 

avast is well within its rights to record our visits to their servers. 

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:48:11 AM »

wsx123 -

Are you using Google's toolbar?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
CharleyO

Given the comments of wsx123 about Google I assume that all things Google are anathema - so Google toolbar use is most unlikely.

The avast pages are indeed making visits to Google-analytics and it would appear that the efforts of wsx123 to prevent any contact with Google by a Firefox extension is causing problems when the avast page (or any other site using Google-analytics) tries to run the javascript from the Google-analytics site. 

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »

hi Alan -

I just wanted to be sure. I do not have this problem but then, I do not use Firefox. So, I was trying to narrow down why this is happening to wsx123. Is it Firefox itself, an extention, a toolbar, etc.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
This quote from wsx123 in the Beta forum

See my Firefox has a customize google extension which puts a privacy block on anything GOOGLE= slow page load

I use Firefox and since virtually all of us do not have this customized extension (which tries to block Google) we do not see any problem.  Even wsx123 does not see a slowdown with IE because there is no blocking being attempted with IE.

I do not know how long avast has had links to Google-analytics in the forum web pages but this is certainly not a problem of avast antivirus 4.7 or the beta. 

Anyone who feels the need to block www.google-analytics.com from being used by the avast site (or any other website) can simply put an entry for that address in their "hosts" file in Windows and no slowdown will be observed.

To the very best of my knowledge avast is doing nothing unethical here. They are using this service to understand how their website is being used - an important tool for them to be able to manage bandwith and server capacity needs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
I also have google-analytics.com blocked in the NoScript extension, though the Hosts file is neat as it would also work cross browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wsx123

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
I don't have a google toolbar.  I updated the customize google extension everything is loading fine, I switched back to Avast v4.7.
You can read about google-analytics at http://www.customizegoogle.com/.
I have no problems running Avast v4.7- I will stay with that, it works well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:02:45 PM by wsx123 »