Author Topic: To kakapo  (Read 9357 times)

Lady Leddy

Re: To kakapo
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »
Hi Kakapo --- I tried to send an email to you, but your email address has changed; mine is the same; I'd love to hear from you! :)

Lady Leddy

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »
And the roses?  Is your garden still as beautiful?  I'm not allowed to send PMs yet, but should be at any time now.

Lady Leddy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »
Well, now that I CAN send PMs, it does no good; I received my PM, but get the Blocked message just as the others did !  I'm supposed to receive emails as well, if you would like to try that.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 03:01:07 AM »
Hi Mac and thank you for this post.

I certainly haven't blocked your IMs, Mac - I just checked. (I haven't blocked anyone! Especially you Neal! I'm always interested in what people here have to say and used to enjoy receiving IMs.) Must be a message board glitch, I guess.

Since we cannot communicate by IM, maybe you could post your reply to my question here, Mac?

To others reading this thread, I asked Mac which firewall he used because my friend's just bought a new Mac. She was offered a free Norton suite but is reluctant to use Norton. (She's been listening to me too long I guess.) I also asked Mac if there were any "issues" with Mac OSX and Avast for Mac. I'm very interested because our next computer will be a Mac too.

Thank you and happy days to all.

Mac OS X has a built in Firewall that you can enable. Its a two way firewall. Found under the Security preference pane in Leopard. If you prefer a 3rd party solution, lots of mac users use Little Snitch.
http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Avast for Mac still has a few minor issues at the moment, but Alwil has sad they will be fixed in the next release. I would recommend downloading Avast and using the trial version so you can see how you like the product. if you do encounter one of the bugs there are some workarounds posted in the Mac section of the forum.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
Hello Kakapo my dear New Zeland friend!

May I suggest few things here?

On my Mac I use Little Snitch (not free, but those $28 CAD I spent on lifetime license and upgrades for free is the best spent money I ever did). It helps you stop/allow all call-home attempts any application installed in your computer tries to do. I am sure I will never switch to anything else, this piece of software is so solid it is incredible. Never ever had any single problem, not a minor one. It looks like perfectly coded application done by pure professionals.

Website link: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

As for antivirus, I use ClamXav (completely free of charge) currently one of the best anti-viruses for Mac computers and what's also very important, it is rock-solid, plus its footprint is so small, you won't even notice it's there. It catches stuff that avast! is still unable to deal with.

Link: http://www.clamxav.com

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:34:38 PM by > »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

kakapo

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
Thank you all very much. Great info which I'll pass on to my friend who hasn't left the house since she got her new Mac. Doesn't answer the phone, replies in TLAs to my texts. I think she's in love with the new machine....I'm going to have to go and see this Mac for myself. (Could be dangerous - and too tempting)

I don't know why I cannot receive IMs....I enjoy hearing from you all. My Yahoo email addy's the same as it was though. Hi Lady Leddy!! Roses are still blooming here.

Sacha! How lovely to hear from you! I hope all's well and happy with you and your family. Big Brikki Hugs to them all.

Anyway....Thank you all very much for posting this useful info and helping a newbie Mac owner.

Happy days to all.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
Hello my friend!

Great to hear from you too!

Advice: Do not go in there! I am sure you'll go nuts when you see it... it is highly addictive, and there is no cure for this addiction  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

drhayden1

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 12:14:21 AM »
trouble with having both worlds like me- 2 windows based machines-a hp laptop and then the one in my signature below and then a MAC ;D

might try this-do you know anything about it ">" ;D

it is highly addictive, and there is no cure for this addiction
also agreed with ">" ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:22:34 AM by drhayden1 »