Author Topic: POP Protection  (Read 3943 times)

eabush

POP Protection
« on: March 18, 2004, 09:30:58 PM »
Hello all.  First I would like to thank the devs for being so gracious as to let home users use their product for free!  Very nice of you all to do that  8)

I do have a small issue with POP service.  I like to leave my mail on the server for a period of time so I can access recent mail from the web, if need be.  Avast! seems to ignore my settings for this and always deletes mail from the server after retrieval :(

Is there some way for me to use POP protection and still leave my mail on the server?

Thanks!

shgoh

Re:POP Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 12:30:39 AM »
i thought that leave mail on server option is from your mail client??... ???

eabush

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 01:27:24 AM »
Correct.  Avast! seems to be auto-deleting though.  I have not had any problem with this prior to using Avast! POP provider.  :'(

I use OutlookExpress.  Perhaps this is a consequence of having to use the generic POP provider instead of the Outlook/Exchange provider - the provider does not take your settings into account?   :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 03:52:34 AM »
Correct.  Avast! seems to be auto-deleting though.  I have not had any problem with this prior to using Avast! POP provider.  :'(

I use OutlookExpress.  Perhaps this is a consequence of having to use the generic POP provider instead of the Outlook/Exchange provider - the provider does not take your settings into account?   :-\

Strange, I use the same feature when I'm on my notebook and nothing happens, i.e., avast let the messages on the server because like shgoh said, this is a mail client option.

Hmm, the use of Internet Mail provider is the only way to protect pop3/smtp mail clients. Outlook/Exchange do not use these servers and have to use a special provider with their own name. The change of settings is the only way to scan Internet Mail and other antivirus applications do the same of avast!

It's strange the behavior... Does avast! delete from server even the clean (virus free) messages?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

eabush

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 04:23:58 AM »
Oops!  I'm very sorry - this was my error, not Avast!  The provider seems to be functioning normally.

Thanks/Sorry for the confusion!  :o

Eddie