Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

HijackThis Log: Please help diagnose

<< < (6/8) > >>

oldman:
Happy Easter to you too. Just remove the subfolder. I believe Java Soft was the original name for the java folder.

I don't know much about spysweeper, but if you do decide to use it, make sure you use the version without the antivirus or a conflict will occur. You should also get a non resident antispyware program. This is probably the best one at the moment. Get the free version.

These are the settings I use and a link

Download  superantispyware

First update SAS Then boot into safe mode and set SAS up like this.

Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Then click the Scanning Control tab.

Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked
- CHECK ALL BOXES

Return to the main page by clicking close on that screen. On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer. On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.(and other fixed drives)
Under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
ยท Click Next to start the scan.

When the scan is done, quarentine everything found.

Give ZA a try, lots use it and seem to like it. It isn't very configurable though. You don't have to uninstall windows firewall, just turn it off.

bobbydee:
Can't find "Java Runtime Environment" (JRE) 6 update 5 in
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Were you saying to use superantispyware with another anti spyware program or as a stand alone?

DavidR:
Alternate, for JRE version 6 update 5 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment_d4648.html.

oldman:
re java download, it's the 4th one in the list. The link DavidR gave you will do the trick also.  8)

Use 2 antispyware programs. One resident(real time scanning) and one on demand. I suggest SAS as the on demand because the free version isn't resident, but it is a very good scanner.

bobbydee:
Yes, I can readily see that the Java download is 4th on the list, however when I first clicked java,sun.com.... link earlier, for some reason or another, it took me to a different Java page and that is why I said that I couldn't find the download. Well anyway, I got through your instructions as best as I could.
On the steven gould link, it shows an index of download/ cleaning, parent directory with a list of clean-up files. How do I use this site?
The Secunia is a neat site that revealed some issues that I have to address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version