Author Topic: FF 3.0b3 firstrun  (Read 12418 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: FF 3.0b3 firstrun
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 12:11:27 AM »
Howdy Dan,

How did you know I that I would be doing the same? I have been testing the Firefox 3.0 on a user rights only account for some time, but because all my favorite extensions would not run as I liked it, and it is a developer and beta-tester version only, and they state so explicitly, I now run a normal FF build next to the latest normal Flock version. IE is exclusively for downloads (IE7). But I report here for the others that like to test it out, and wanna know what FF will have in store for us in the foreseeable future, maybe they come with a special Garfield version, although I doubt that, click the pic to see what Garfield does..

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
special Garfield version,
wouldn't SpeedyPC be jeolous ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »
Hi >,

It is a free world after all, and you are free to say that NoScript is a nuisance for you, and you are not the only one... I would like to say that a lot of IE users that understand the risks they are running would be glad if Mr Giorgio Maone had a similar protection developed to run inside IE.
And yes script inside a browser is the number ONE malware vector, and this will be so for a long, long time to come.
But it is the users that decide. Who knows that there will be a day very soon that FF 3.0 and IE8 look so identical, that FF will be phased out. Functionality and security often conflict, but they also can go hand in hand. Using it or not is your personal decision, I am not gonna comment there. On a Mac the story is quite something different. What I say is for FF on Windows...

pol

My point was not that NoScript is not useful, I was just saying that even without it I have never had any problems... maybe I was just lucky then I don't know. What I was trying to say is that it was annoying with questions. I don't want to set it to silent mode, because there is no way I would ever let any application even if it's some security program, to make decisions without me knowing what is it doing behind my back. Blocking all kind of content that sometimes maybe shouldn't be blocked (in some specific situations) is not something I want to see.

The other thing... isn't blocking of scripts on IE even easier than on Firefox ? You have to install some third party plug-in for Firefox, but with IE, you just have to turn off scripting.

In Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu and select Int.Options.
Click the Security tab.
With the Internet zone selected, click the Custom Level button.
Scroll down to the Scripting section.
Select "Disable" (or you can select "Prompt" if you need to allow active scripting on some pages that you know you can trust, just like I need it).
Click OK.
Click OK again to close the dialog box.

Isn't that effect pretty much the same ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

gdiloren

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »
Does anybody know what happens with the FF McAfee Site Advisor extension in FF 3b4. I keep installing it but it simply goes away upon rebooting the pc. I liked it a lot especially for the advises on the Google and Yahoo searchs. Can AILWIL think of a gadget like SiteAdvisor for us? 8)
Hi polonus, I did exactly as you said and while it worked for drweb link checker extension it didn't work for the McAfee SiteAdvisor extension for FF. It simply disapears upon a pc reboot. While I know the FF 3 b4 version has a feature warning you on bad sites (a bit like McAfee) you have to actually click them to know it. :o

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »
Hello gdiloren,

As siteadvisor won't take hold, just install scandoo for a search engine, does actually the same or install finjan: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4892

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

gdiloren

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
Thanks polonus, Finjan seems OK, even better than SiteAdvisor! ;)

Sesame

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 01:21:09 PM »
This is my personal preference but I don't use Distrust and Stealther, instead, I simply turn off history, hard disk cache and password manager through options and about:config for speed and privacy.

The other thing... isn't blocking of scripts on IE even easier than on Firefox ? You have to install some third party plug-in for Firefox, but with IE, you just have to turn off scripting.

In Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu and select Int.Options.
Click the Security tab.
With the Internet zone selected, click the Custom Level button.
Scroll down to the Scripting section.
Select "Disable" (or you can select "Prompt" if you need to allow active scripting on some pages that you know you can trust, just like I need it).
Click OK.
Click OK again to close the dialog box.

Isn't that effect pretty much the same ?
No.  Anyone who actually browsed a bit with NoScript would see the difference.  He/she could check what is blocked by the indicator at the bottom of the page rather than annoying prompts and decide what to do with the blocked scripts.  He/she could temporally allow them and/or put them to whitelist.  This kind of whitelisting in IE is much more troublesome.  In fact, in my routine browsing, I don't need to touch anything while I can choose what I would do with new sites.  For example, here, Bob appears to have seen something he wouldn't like to see but I didn't because the browser didn't read scripts.  Of course, domain-based blocking is not perfect since "trusted" ones may be contaminated but NoScript author is aware of it and I take my precautions, too.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »
Thanks polonus, Finjan seems OK, even better than SiteAdvisor! ;)
I follow this.

Of course, domain-based blocking is not perfect since "trusted" ones may be contaminated.
For these ones, rests the antivirus and Script Blocker (Pro version for IE).
The best things in life are free.

Lusher

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »

This has absolutely nothing with wearing a seatbelt. I have never ever even started my car without my seatbelt fastened, so for sure it can not be compared to this situation.

Well, a big indicator that you are talking to someone who is pretending to be knowledgeable about computers is when they start drawing vague analogies, about "cars and seatbeats"... They think it makes them sound clever, when in fact it merely shows they lack the technical chops to explain what is happening...

It looks like no one can have his own opinion in this forum. After one say something, there is at least two on his back. I don't like it and I don't use it, so what's wrong with that ?

Nothing wrong. Except a couple of people here think they are the only guys who know anything and that anyone who disagrees with them must be wrong or foolish....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »
They think it makes them sound clever, when in fact it merely shows they lack the technical chops to explain what is happening...
Do you really think that Sasha do not have technical skills?
C'mon master, is it funny to be a troll in the forum?

Except a couple of people here think they are the only guys who know anything and that anyone who disagrees with them must be wrong or foolish....
You're the first one? Who's the second?

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »

"This has absolutely nothing with wearing a seatbelt. I have never ever even started my car without my seatbelt fastened, so for sure it can not be compared to this situation."

Well, a big indicator that you are talking to someone who is pretending to be knowledgeable about computers is when they start drawing vague analogies, about "cars and seatbeats"... They think it makes them sound clever, when in fact it merely shows they lack the technical chops to explain what is happening...

Very funny. I second Tech's comment. Sasha know his stuff. Being able to boil technical concepts down to simple analogies, is a skill in itself.

"It looks like no one can have his own opinion in this forum. After one say something, there is at least two on his back. I don't like it and I don't use it, so what's wrong with that ?"

Nothing wrong. Except a couple of people here think they are the only guys who know anything and that anyone who disagrees with them must be wrong or foolish....

There's probably a bit of truth in your statement, but not necessarily in the way you meant it. There are a lot of people who frequent this forum, that have a lot of knowledge about computer security. It is inevitable that there would be disagreements sometimes in threads, but the benefit to the original poster, is that he has more than one option to pick from. A good thing in my mind.

There have been instances in the past, where members have gone into a feeding frenzy in response to someone's posted question, and as a collective group, they resemble the Keystone Kops, but those have been few and far between.

As an interested spectator, I'm personally impressed, and humbled by the collective knowledge of the members here.

lee16

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
Can we keep on track please, arguing over what seems to me like nothing seems pointless guys.

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
seems pointless guys.
Lee, we're interested on forum atmosphere... we need air to breath. Respect, in one word.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
In case you missed the news...

Mozilla Says Firefox 3 Ready For Prime Time

The program's creators told Reuters on Thursday that the privately-held company's trial version of Firefox 3 browser is ready for the masses to use after months of development.

Until now, the company has discouraged average Internet users from moving on from Firefox 2, which was launched in October 2006.

"In many ways it (Firefox 3) is much more stable than anything else out there," Mozilla Corp Vice President of Engineering Mike Schroepfer said in an interview.

http://www.internetnews.com/breakingnews/article.php/3735786
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:51:41 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »
FF3 might be ready for the masses, but I doubt the extensions are ready for FF3, many wil not be compatoble.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security