Author Topic: FF 3.0b3 firstrun  (Read 12448 times)

gdiloren

Re: FF 3.0b3 firstrun
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06:58 AM »
FF3 might be ready for the masses, but I doubt the extensions are ready for FF3, many wil not be compatoble.
Siteadcisor is one ;D

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
FF3 might be ready for the masses, but I doubt the extensions are ready for FF3, many wil not be compatoble.

That's true, though many are. Some developers won't update until a RC. But, the only two I'm really concerned about are NoScript, and AdBlock Plus, and both of them have been updated. Though I don't, you can have both versions installed side-by-side if the extensions are a big deal. Probably more concern for some extensions on Windows, than on Linux. I can't remember...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 02:25:44 AM »
Hi DavidR,

There is a way around that to make some critical extensions run inside FF:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33717.0
Some hang to certain security add-ons. SiteAdvisor for me is not one of them. There are better alternatives.
But I would not like to miss for instance DrWeb's av hyperlink scanner plug-in, Stealther, JSView, Error Console, R.I.P.  to mention just a few. And not to forget the most important of them all NoScript. I would not like to touch FF or Flock without Mr. Maone's extension -

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 02:37:51 AM »
...And not to forget the most important of them all NoScript. I would not like to touch FF or Flock without Mr. Maone's extension.

As I mentioned in the post right above yours, NoScript is working fine.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
Hi DavidR,

There is a way around that to make some critical extensions run inside FF:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33717.0
Some hang to certain security add-ons. SiteAdvisor for me is not one of them. There are better alternatives.
<snip>

Personally I would rather not modify firefox and wait for the official release and the support for my extensions. I have in the past hacked the extension where it was no longer supported, changing the from and to version support. but that effects only one particular extension and doesn't disable compatibility checking for all extensions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Personally I would rather not modify firefox and wait for the official release and the support for my extensions. I have in the past hacked the extension where it was no longer supported, changing the from and to version support. but that effects only one particular extension and doesn't disable compatibility checking for all extensions.

That's always the prudent choice. My reason for posting the news, was to simply let people know, who are biting at the bit to try FF3, that they shouldn't be afraid to try it, even with it's Beta designation.

Sesame

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
I began to use Firefox 3 Portable.  I simply copied profile folder under "FirefoxPortableTest\Data" but it works fine with some minor tweaks.  As for add-ons, beside the add-on compatibility check workaround polonus mentioned, check the add-on developers' sites for newer versions of their add-ons.  For example, I found Tab Max Plus dev-builds here.  This is one of my must-have add-ons and 0.3.6.1.080324 works well with FF3 at the moment.  About FF3, itself, I like "the feel" when I am browsing, it definitely feels lighter.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »
Good review here (as in good for Firefox):

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7764475172.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »
Hi users of FF,

Beta5 will be out in May, you can test the RC1, FF 3.0 will be out somewhere in June:
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9072680&intsrc=hm_list

RC's can be tested, and developers like to get the feed-back from it,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!