Author Topic: Pidgin support?  (Read 3665 times)

dallas7

Pidgin support?
« on: June 28, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
I've searched here and in google and can't find anything definitive outside of, well, stuff like, "It used to be called gaim."

Does Avast! 4.8.1201 Home support Pidgin 2.4.2?

Yes? No?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:22:52 PM by dallas7 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Pidgin support?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »
Well, stuff like, "It used to be called gaim."

The IP and P2P Shields have been extended so that they now protect a much broader range of messaging/P2P applications. Namely, the following instant messaging programs are now supported: AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Gadu-Gadu*, Gaim*, ICQ*, Miranda*, mIRC*, MSN/Windows Messenger, Psi Jabber*, Odigo*, Trillian, Yahoo! Messenger.

http://www.avast.com/eng/whats_new_in_avast_v.html#3

It might be easier to find the answer empirically: get somebody to send you a file and see if avast! scans it.

It might be a while before a member of the avast! team or a pidgin user drops in.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »
The answer as far as I remember is No, as it isn't listed in the IM supported applications, this has I believe been discussed before and as far as I recall it isn't although Gaim was, so a forum search for Pidgin might reveal a specific answer.

Though as FWF suggests a simple test and check if traffic is scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dallas7

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:34:54 AM »
so a forum search for Pidgin might reveal a specific answer

No.  And tho I mentioned above that I searched here and in google, I forgot to mention I also searched the Entire Support Site at support.avast.com.

get somebody to send you a file and see if avast! scans it

Sorry I didn't detail this earlier:  Been there, done that - before I posted up my inquiry.  I can see considerable activity in my process and tcp monitors for ashMaiSv and ashWebSv when I'm active in Firefox, Mailwasher and Outlook.  However, I see nothing similar during IM activity in Pidgin, the instant massaging client formerly known as gaim, whether merely in chat or while transferring files.  Should there be an "ash...Sv" running for IM?  In the systray icon pull-down, the only providers I see are Internet, Web and Mail in "pause" and those three plus Outlook/Exchange in "stop."  Should there be a provider for IM?

During a file transfer in IM, is a "Quick Scannner" status supposed to pop up as it does when selecting a file from a right click in Explorer?  I'm also thinking any file transfer would be handled by the av kernel as the file is offloaded to the file system regardless of the transfer protocol.

I'm under the impression that support for IM clients would imply protection during chat, so that the IM from me2crackerdude567367, with the nefariously loaded yahoo protocol packet, won't infect my system.

For grins, I installed Miranda 077 and it's as silent and uneventful as Pidgin.

I'm as dumb as a stack of Bernoulli drive disks.  How does one "check if traffic is scanned"?  Apart from the Simple User Interface and Log Viewer, what else is there that presents the user with current/recent activity?

Thank you.

(DavidR: who put all them funky holes in the T-10s in that avatar photo?)  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:45:58 AM by dallas7 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »
I use Pidgin and it's not supported by avast. Unfortunately.
A lot of users asked for support (yet).
The best things in life are free.

dallas7

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:33:03 AM »
Thank you!  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:22:37 PM by dallas7 »