Author Topic: Avast Internet Mail scanner limiting my email size  (Read 3898 times)

Thunder Bird

Avast Internet Mail scanner limiting my email size
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:58:02 AM »
I was having problems trying to send emails larger than 6 MB (They would hang or stall at 6.7 MB)

I am using Incredimail and have not noticed this problem before.

I was able to send the same email that gave me problems using Gmail without a problem.

Avast Internet Mail scanner was active in both cases.

Then I heard that antivirus scanners can cause this problem so I Terminated Avast Internet Mail scanner and low and behold my problem disappeared and I was able to send the problem email using Incredimail.

This also raises the question "Do emails sent and received by Gmail get scanned by Avast Internet Mail scanner"

Why does Avast Internet Mail scanner put a limit on the size of emails I can send ?

I am using version 4.8 beta

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast Internet Mail scanner limiting my email size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »
Why does Avast Internet Mail scanner put a limit on the size of emails I can send ?

It does not.

Do emails sent and received by Gmail get scanned by Avast Internet Mail scanner

No, they do not.

To expand ...

I just sent an email with an attachment of 8.2Mb through my ISP email account to a Hotmail address.  The mail was scanned by avast being sent and it was scanned by avast being received.  Both functions completed without any problem.

I am using avast 4.8 beta.  My mail client is Thunderbird.  Before anyone says this a not comparable let me make clear that avast does not have the faintest clue which SMTP client you use to send email.  Every POP/SMTP mail client in existence has to obey the very old, very clear and very standard rules of POP/SMTP and it is simply the standard connections for POP and SMTP that are intercepted and taken over by avast irrespective of mail client.

So why is there a problem?  Well, obeying the rules of POP and SMTP is about the only standard that mail clients follow, every other aspect of the way they work is individual to each product.  In particular, mail clients can be set to expect to get regular feedback on the transmission of email messages to the SMTP server.  If they do not "hear back" from the server at regular intervals they typically give a timeout error.  The avast team has gone to considerable effort in the past couple of years to take care of the issue of providing these contacts back to mail clients to avoid the problems that were often seen in the sending of large email attachments.

I will admit that I far from being a fan of Incredimail, my experiences of it have largely been confined to helping others with issues encountered from having that product on the their systems.  I have not investigated in depth the issues that can be encountered in Incredimail with the sending of large attachments scanned by avast.  Terminating the avast Internet Mail scanner means that direct communication between Incredimail and the SMTP server is restored and whatever it is in Incredimail that is "unhappy" with in the avast intercept ceases.  Taking that action also means that your inbound mail is not being scanned. 

However, as a general point I have to say that the scanning of outbound mails is largely useless and a waste of time.  Nobody in their right mind should trust anyone else's scan of their mail and should ensure that they scan their incoming mails  or at least be sure that it has been scanned by their email service.  If you are using avast to protect your system along  with a good firewall then the chances of the outbound scanning of your email finding a problem is very close to zero.

So, if you are experiencing issues with the outbound scanning of your mail then just turn off the outbound scanning of your mail in the SMTP tab of Internet Mail scanner.  That way your incoming mail will still be scanned and you can avoid the problems caused in the rather unnecessary outbound scan.

For GMail ...

GMail insists that your POP and SMTP connections are secured connections to the server.  This is much like the secure connections your browser sets up when you connect to your bank online.  Nobody, and no antivirus program can scan these secure connections (that's the point of them being secure).  GMail says that it does scan attachments of your emails for you but it is not entirely clear if they provide full message scanning. 

There is a way to get these mails scanned by avast but it requires that you install a free third party product (called STunnel) that will manage - inside your computer - the secure connections to the mail servers and then pass the messages - again entirely and safely inside your system - from STunnel to your mail client of choice so that they can be scanned by avast.  It can appear a bit daunting at first glance to set up but others have reported how to do it here in the forum and if you care to learn more then please use the forum search function for "STunnel".                 

If you can be patient then the avast team have said the the equivalent functionality of STunnel will be built into release 5 of  avast that is expected to be available later in 2008 - so there will be a way of managing increasingly prevalent secure email connections and still having avast scan the mails without the need for the third party program. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:17:55 AM by alanrf »

Thunder Bird

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »
Thank you alanrf

I have followed your suggestion and turned off the outbound scanning of my emails in the SMTP tab of Internet Mail scanner. 
I feel a lot happier knowing my incoming emails will still be scanned and I can avoid the problems caused by the unnecessary outbound scan.

The part that confuses me is that I have used Incredimail and Avast for sometime now and I have never experienced this problem before (I used to send quite large emails) so either Avast or Incredimail have changed something in their programming to create this problem.

I guess I jumped the gun but terminating Avast Internet Mail scanner solved my immediate problem

I am in touch with Incredimail as well so I can only hope a resolution to this problem will be found.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:55:05 PM by Thunder Bird »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »
I guess I jumped the gun but terminating Avast Internet Mail scanner solved my immediate problem
Hmmm... but security will be compromised...
For GMail, take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!. Fell free to ask for further help.
The best things in life are free.

Thunder Bird

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
Hi Tech

I have followed alanrf suggestion and turned off the outbound scanning of my emails in the SMTP tab of Internet Mail scanner.
I feel a lot happier knowing my incoming emails will still be scanned and I can avoid the problems caused by the unnecessary outbound scan.

With Gmail I have set it up to forward emails through my ISP email account to my computer this way emails should be scanned by Avast Internet Mail scanner the same as any other email arriving from my ISP email account.

Terminating Avast Internet Mail scanner originally was for trouble shooting and to enable me to send out a few large emails it solved my immediate problem.

Thunder Bird

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:05:44 AM »

I am in touch with Incredimail as well so I can only hope a resolution to this problem will be found.

I have received the following response from Incredimail

"Please note that a firewall or an anti-virus program that scans outgoing mail is usually the problem.

Please understand that this is not related to IncrediMail and its connection with Avast, it would be any email client."

This is in spite of telling them (Incredimail) otherwise.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:15:01 AM »
As I noted in my previous response it would probably take some effort to determine the interaction issues between Incredimail and avast for the scanning of outbound mail.  Were this an inbound scanning issue I would, almost certainly, devote the effort but given my comments on outbound scanning  ...  I hope that you will understand that I do not believe the effort is worthwhile.   

Thunder Bird

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »
As I noted in my previous response it would probably take some effort to determine the interaction issues between Incredimail and avast for the scanning of outbound mail.  Were this an inbound scanning issue I would, almost certainly, devote the effort but given my comments on outbound scanning  ...  I hope that you will understand that I do not believe the effort is worthwhile.   

Thank you alanrf

I understand what you are saying and I agree that the scanning of outbound emails is unnecessary (I have now got Avast set up to only scan incoming emails as per your suggestion - thank you)

It was only after 2 days of trial and error investigations that I located the problem (made difficult because there was no error messages) I guess I'm a fox terrier when it comes to a problem like this - I get my teeth into them and won't let go until I get some sort of closure.

I guess I'm disappointed with Incredimails response that this problem "is not related to IncrediMail and its connection with Avast, it would be any email client."

But that is Incredimails problem not Avasts as we know other email clients don't have this problem.

I must be the only Avast user that uses Incredimail to send emails larger than 6 MB's.

Thanks once again alanrf

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »
Like you I will admit that I do not like unresolved problems ... but (I am sorry to sound down on your choice of email client) I am not keen to devote much effort on Incredimail.  Nevertheless, you are far from alone in choosing to have Incredimail as your mail client and avast as your antivirus product.

You may well be in a minority for those choices combined with sending emails of the sizes you report.  I hope that, given your choice of scanning, avast and Incredimail will together continue to serve you well.  We will still be here and happy to work with you if you encounter further problems.